Diving Without BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdavo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello All!

I am interested in doing some diving this summer with no BCD and a lightweight, minimal gear setup.

I enjoy exploring the coast snorkeling and freediving, and I'm competent with basic open water scuba diving. I would like to bridge the gap with a small, basic scuba system that I can comfortably haul a long distance from my car for shallow water summer diving.

My plan is to dive shore entry, shallow (35 ft or less), in warm water with no wetsuit or a thin shorty. For those familiar with San Diego, think Children's Pool and similar. I have aluminum luxfer 50s and 63s that I plan to use. I've practiced controlling my buoyancy on previous dives using my lung volume, but never witthout a BCD or wetsuit on.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get my weighting dialed in? Any recommendations for tank harness? So far I've been looking at a plastic backpack (Trident), a back plate and harness, , or a back inflation travel BCD with the wing removed (weight integration would be nice).

It's hard to beat the classic harness. Weightbelt for easily detachable weight so you can float if needed. (I hate struggling at the surface)

Last edited:
What if you have a problem, such as fighting a strong current, or you are facing a rip tide, or you get injured, or you run out of gas and face a long swim back to shore in rough surf?

A BCD would help you in all of those conditions. There's a reason most divers use them. If you want to be a scuba diving minimalist whatever that is, consider a small travel BCD at the very least.
An old horsecollar or even a larger DSMB would work. In an emergency and you're sure of staying positively buoyant you dump the SCUBA rig and swim in.
Or make sure your family understands the risk and you have a good insurance policy. BC's were actually developed to make up for poor training and improper weighting. Mike Nelson never used a BC and he didn't die. All he used for emergencies were CO2 powered small lift bags.

I would suggest moving this to the vintage section.

Hello All!

I am interested in doing some diving this summer with no BCD and a lightweight, minimal gear setup.

I enjoy exploring the coast snorkeling and freediving, and I'm competent with basic open water scuba diving. I would like to bridge the gap with a small, basic scuba system that I can comfortably haul a long distance from my car for shallow water summer diving.

My plan is to dive shore entry, shallow (35 ft or less), in warm water with no wetsuit or a thin shorty. For those familiar with San Diego, think Children's Pool and similar. I have aluminum luxfer 50s and 63s that I plan to use. I've practiced controlling my buoyancy on previous dives using my lung volume, but never witthout a BCD or wetsuit on.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get my weighting dialed in? Any recommendations for tank harness? So far I've been looking at a plastic backpack (Trident), a back plate and harness, , or a back inflation travel BCD with the wing removed (weight integration would be nice).

I would suggest moving this to the vintage section.
'cept people still dive these and they are available new.
backpack.png

@sdavo: Are you a certified diver? How many dives have you done?
There is a reason most divers wear a BCD. Think safety and neutral buoyancy during the dive.

Agree, but the knowledge on how to dive without a BC resides in the vintage section. Diving BC free discussions in basic typically lead to the "don't do it you are going to die" comments.

With the right setup it's not hard. I find diving with no BC rather enjoyable under the right conditions. Maybe the OP can find a like minded experienced individual in his area to mentor him.

I started no BC in a pool and then to shallow inland lake. I have also done ocean under the right conditions. As long as you have a balanced system without too much buoyancy swing it is pretty easy.

'cept people still dive these and they are available new.View attachment 457217

For getting weighting right, if you're not using a compressible wetsuit or bcd, it's just the air weight in your tank you're using your lungs to compensate for. Try starting the dive breathing in the bottom 1/3 of your comfortable lung volume, end the dive breathing the top 1/3. As a freediver you're likely already comfortable with modified breathing patterns.

Exhale should let you slowly sink at the beginning of the dive. You'll be 4lbs "lighter" if you empty your tank and that's 1.8l of air needing removed from your internal bcd by the time your dive is over. Depending on your lung volume that's entirely comfortable. With a thick wetsuit it gets much more limiting and uncomfortable.

A few safety concerns. 1. You're discussing diving in a way you aren't trained for and don't have the skills to do safely. 2. It removes risk management tools your training is built around. 3. Solo diving adds other risks beyond your training and experience as well. (Assuming you are solo)

A good old buddy can teach you how to do this safely. I'd be nervous learning this on my own based on what I read on the internet.

All that said, my lightest bcd is only 10 ounces, the weight saving isn't significant in most contexts. I just love the streamlining freedom of no bcd diving. I'll highlight the personal risk management rule, I need to be sure I float without struggling... That's by ditching weight if I don't have an inflatable.

You start heavy at the beginning of the dive when your tank is full. My friends that monkey dive without a bc don't like hanging out at the surface at the beginning of the dive. They are always ready to get started.

Back
Top Bottom