Diving with Plantar Faciitis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This story worries me.

Plantar fasciitis is a condition related to overuse and chronic micro-injury to the plantar fascia, which is the strong connective tissue that runs across the bottom of the foot. It causes stiffness and pain when walking, but it is usually more widespread across the bottom of the foot, and rarely, if ever, produces heat, redness, and swelling. It is not treated by surgical debridement EVER, and there is no pus involved.

If they actually drained fluid from your heel, you had an abscess, and that's concerning. An occult foreign body would be a concern (stepping on a splinter, for example) and not all foreign bodies are radioopaque and well seen on x-ray or CT. Another concern would be infection in the calcaneus, or heel bone, either as a starting point for this or as a consequence of it. I'm not happy with the appearance of the wound in the picture you posted. It looks like you still have significant erythema (redness) and swelling, and the wound is very shallow, which, unless this was a VERY superficial abscess, makes me worry that you haven't undergone adequate drainage. But of course, I can't actually see your foot, and I haven't seen the CT scan, and your doctor has. I do think this should be followed very carefully, and if your pain and swelling don't resolve fairly promptly, you might need some other investigation, like a bone scan of your heel. If you are diabetic, all this advice is even more important.

At any rate, the story you tell makes me think that this has nothing at all to do with PF, and even if it did, PF wouldn't contraindicate diving unless the diving activities caused pain.

This story worries me.

Plantar fasciitis is a condition related to overuse and chronic micro-injury to the plantar fascia, which is the strong connective tissue that runs across the bottom of the foot. It causes stiffness and pain when walking, but it is usually more widespread across the bottom of the foot, and rarely, if ever, produces heat, redness, and swelling. It is not treated by surgical debridement EVER, and there is no pus involved.

If they actually drained fluid from your heel, you had an abscess, and that's concerning. An occult foreign body would be a concern (stepping on a splinter, for example) and not all foreign bodies are radioopaque and well seen on x-ray or CT. Another concern would be infection in the calcaneus, or heel bone, either as a starting point for this or as a consequence of it. I'm not happy with the appearance of the wound in the picture you posted. It looks like you still have significant erythema (redness) and swelling, and the wound is very shallow, which, unless this was a VERY superficial abscess, makes me worry that you haven't undergone adequate drainage. But of course, I can't actually see your foot, and I haven't seen the CT scan, and your doctor has. I do think this should be followed very carefully, and if your pain and swelling don't resolve fairly promptly, you might need some other investigation, like a bone scan of your heel. If you are diabetic, all this advice is even more important.

At any rate, the story you tell makes me think that this has nothing at all to do with PF, and even if it did, PF wouldn't contraindicate diving unless the diving activities caused pain.

Thank you Lynne, I'm giving it until Thursday and then if things haven't improved ill seek a second opinion. To be honest I don't have a whole lot of faith in the medical profession over here this would not be the first time I've had a misdiagnosis or the in fact the second.

Buddha, if you don't mind my asking

1) Did they do a wound culture?

2) What antibiotics have you been treated with?

3) Are you getting better?

image.jpg
Buddha, if you don't mind my asking

1) Did they do a wound culture?

2) What antibiotics have you been treated with?

3) Are you getting better?

No wound culture, anti biotics I have no idea as the writing is Kanji and no it still hurts 24/7 albeit dull and its still leaking fluid with some blood. They have me putting some brown paste on it every night after I clean it I have no idea what it is but it's supposed to draw out the infection, apparently it's the same cream they use on bed sores.

these are the anti biotics for anyone who can read kanji:

Sorry, no help with interpretation. The PF is obviously a nonissue. The infection though must be taken very seriously. The medical culture there is obviously quite different from the States so I really have no guidance but to reiterate what TSandM has said. Please be very proactive with this.

And please keep us posted...

Sorry, no help with interpretation. The PF is obviously a nonissue. The infection though must be taken very seriously. The medical culture there is obviously quite different from the States so I really have no guidance but to reiterate what TSandM has said. Please be very proactive with this.

And please keep us posted...

Thank you. Yes I'm from NZ and in comparison medical care here seems very dated, doctors here are treated like gods and it seems no one questions them. This has been going on since April 4th and despite medical intervention has not improved but seems to be getting worse. I am a little concerned hence reaching out. I will definitely be keeping a very close eye on it and will start taking daily photos so I can have a visual reference for any changes. I will post again after my hospital visit on the up coming Thursday. Thanks again for your support.

Thank you. Yes I'm from NZ and in comparison medical care here seems very dated, doctors here are treated like gods and it seems no one questions them. This has been going on since April 4th and despite medical intervention has not improved but seems to be getting worse. I am a little concerned hence reaching out. I will definitely be keeping a very close eye on it and will start taking daily photos so I can have a visual reference for any changes. I will post again after my hospital visit on the up coming Thursday. Thanks again for your support.

So, how's the foot? Any good news?

image.jpg
So, how's the foot? Any good news?

Hi there, went back to the hospital Thursday, they seemed happy with the progress, said it was still infected and gave some more Anti biotics and some different topical ointment. They said that I also had plantar faciitis but said it was deep? I was told to stay off the foot for another week. I asked when I could start stretching my foot and they said to wait a little longer until the wound had healed. I stumbled last night and fell landing on the heel and the pain was excruciating. So it looks like I have an infection on top of plantar faciitis. I will wait a few more days and then start gradually putting weight on it and stretching. After having it almost motionless for over two weeks its starting to stiffen. This photo was taken yesterday. Thanks for the concern and interest. Diving season starts here in June so am hoping even with plantar faciitis providing the wound had healed I will be able to dive. It's the only thing keeps me sane here.

Well, the heel looks MUCH better! I'm still concerned about the persistent pain, and the diagnosis of plantar fasciitis. As I said earlier, PF doesn't cause and isn't associated with abscesses.

Well, the heel looks MUCH better! I'm still concerned about the persistent pain, and the diagnosis of plantar fasciitis. As I said earlier, PF doesn't cause and isn't associated with abscesses.

Im so confused, I've done so much reading on PF and my symptoms do not correlate. Is it possible that the infection has caused damage/inflammation of the plantar facia as opposed to the condition of plantar faciitis? and after the infection/wound has cleared up I will again have normal use of my foot? I have full range of motion and cannot feel any tightness when tightening or extending my toes/foot, just the point of infection is very sore with burning sensation. It might be time for a second opinion. I would have thought after nearly three weeks on anti biotics the infection would have cleared?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom