Diving with Ostomy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheHuth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello Everyone,

Although I dont consider it to be a disability, I live with a permanent ileostomy. I did a search on the forums, and only saw a single thread regarding diving with an ostomy, and it was from 2006. I figured I'd start my own.

I personally have zero concerns about complications from diving with an ostomy. But I wanted to know if anyone else has one and has dived for a while. I am just getting started in this sport. I wanted to know if there is any advice, or known issues.

If its a sensitive issue for you, please feel free to email me at john@beyondvoip.net

For me, I have had a total colectomy 7 years ago now. I developed Ulcerative Colitis (although it very well may be chrohns) 10 years prior to that. It has been labeled as indeterminate colitis since I fall somewhere in between Chrohns and Ulcerative Colitis. But with the bad part now out of my body, I'm pretty darn healthy. I'll always have some minor complications, but I can live with them.

I can honestly say that I am the healthiest I have ever been through my entire adult life. I am very active. I work out at least 5 times a week. I ride my mountain bike all the time. Again, I have zero concerns about having a medical complication from diving with an ostomy. However, even though I see no medical complications, there are still some logistical complications that I wont find out until they happen. This is where I'd like to find others who are in the same boat (no pun intended).

Thanks,
John

Hello Everyone,

Although I dont consider it to be a disability, I live with a permanent ileostomy. I did a search on the forums, and only saw a single thread regarding diving with an ostomy, and it was from 2006. I figured I'd start my own.

I personally have zero concerns about complications from diving with an ostomy. But I wanted to know if anyone else has one and has dived for a while. I am just getting started in this sport. I wanted to know if there is any advice, or known issues.

If its a sensitive issue for you, please feel free to email me at john@beyondvoip.net

For me, I have had a total colectomy 7 years ago now. I developed Ulcerative Colitis (although it very well may be chrohns) 10 years prior to that. It has been labeled as indeterminate colitis since I fall somewhere in between Chrohns and Ulcerative Colitis. But with the bad part now out of my body, I'm pretty darn healthy. I'll always have some minor complications, but I can live with them.

I can honestly say that I am the healthiest I have ever been through my entire adult life. I am very active. I work out at least 5 times a week. I ride my mountain bike all the time. Again, I have zero concerns about having a medical complication from diving with an ostomy. However, even though I see no medical complications, there are still some logistical complications that I wont find out until they happen. This is where I'd like to find others who are in the same boat (no pun intended).

Thanks,
John
I just got back from a dive trip with my friend who just had his colon removed. No problems. He was at first hesitant because of the lack of control when the bag fills. We missed a couple of morning dives waiting for the movement. No big deal. We just dealt with it. The travel stress upset the timing, but after a couple days he was back in the routine. We eventually after 4 days made the morning boat dives. I think if you communicate with the boat and your buddy it will work out well. We ended up shore diving the days we missed the boat, so everyone was happy.

We did have an episode were the adhesive fail and the bag leaked, but the sea cleaned it up. Go out and have fun. Cheers

Reactions: RJP
Ah, sounds like your friend only recently had surgery. He will get to know his body well over time, and will be able to anticipate those things much better. I'm sure his apprehension will be gone in short order. I've had my ostomy for about 7 years now, and have been living a pretty normal life for the last 5 or so. I just went Hang Gliding yesterday :)

The best advice I can give is for your friend to try a bunch of different applicances. He should be able to find one that works well with his body, and is really reliable. Once he does that, he'll gain a ton of confidence.

My buddy of 7 years dives with his colostomy bag. He can usually make 1-2 dives wet before the adhesive fails, so he usually dives dry. He's had no complications with diving. We've traveled a bit and the only issue he's had is bringing enough supplies. Also bring more spares than you think you'll need.

Great info. Thank you for the reply. I've been considering trying Dry for similar reasons. i think I'll have to put some more thought in to it.

Hi, all: Just came across this thread. Have had a urostomy for 13 years: have since dove all over Caribbean and Mexico. Only concern: bring more ostomy supplies than normal, as repeated exposure to salt water can lessen adhesion time. Especially in Cuba, where it is almost impossible to get needed ostomy supplies. I discretely open the bag (it's just urine) before a dive, and then close it upon resurfacing. No one the wiser. Have told dive masters/leaders when taking AOW and rescue Diver courses, as they need to understand why I do things that protect the stoma/appliance, but never any problems.

I've had an ostomy bag now for about four months and been high and dry for 6 months. My bag is due to a fistula that has a minor connection to my colon. Hoping to get in the water before the fistula fully heals... hopefully without resorting to a dry suit! Glad to see this thread pop up through a search of the site. I missed it initially because I was traveling.

been diving with a urostomy for 8 years. I dive dry and have no issues. I have done a handful of wet dives also. sea water does eat at the adhesive after a couple of dives.

Got a phone call from my surgeon last night. She told me I was cleared to dive with my ostomy bag!! Unfortunately I will face an operation in the near future to seal the fistula, thus eliminating the need for the bag but also keeping me out of the water a bit longer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom