Diving with Ostomy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for sharing your story, I'm sure it will be an encouragement and inspiration to others seeking for information.
Also for others like me to realise how thankfull we should be for our health and not take it for granted.
Its also really dissappointing that DAN never reacted to your reply to them...

When you were still diving, did you adjust your equipment in any way to make things more comfortable?
I see you live in California so you probably didn't need to carry around a lot of weight for diving, but you're not restricted in how much you can lift or carry? Do you just use regular weight belts or maybe a harnass?

Perhaps I am overthinking things but I would love to have my wife to have the best experience once she's ready for diving again in a couple of months.

Great question. I'm a pretty small guy, clocking in at 140 pounds. You'd think California has awesome diving. Its actually known to be some of the harshest conditions in America. The water is always very cold (several divers I know only used drysuits), and visibility is quite poor. I personally wore a 7mm wetsuit. Because I'm light, and the suit was highly buoyant, I had to carry allot of lead. If I remember correctly I took a 7pound and 4 pound on each side. So 22 pounds total.

I wore a regular jacket BCD initially. But based on a recommendation from my instructor I purchased a Diverite Backplate/Wing. Nothing to do with the ostomy. Just a much better BCD than a jacket. Its what you'll find most professional divers use.

When it comes to the ostomy, there isnt anything I ever did that was special or catered to it. Since its pulled tight to the body by the wetsuit, its a good idea to empty it prior to a dive. But that is exclusively for comfort.

Wishing your wife all the best with her surgery, and a speedy recovery. Hopefully what I've wrote helps her feel less intimidated and overwhelmed. The hard part for me was I had no one to talk to, and had to pretty figure it all out on my own. Even the nurses and doctors dont truly know what its like to live with an ostomy. They probably have some idea, but having one tied to 24/7/365 is something you can only appreciate when you live with one. I'm sure she is really scared right now. The one thing I promise is she will get used to her new normal. And the quickest way to get that sense of normalcy is to get right back to living her life once she heals up from surgery.

My experience is with an ileostomy. So I cant make recommendations on appliances. But do have your wife start investigating different brands. Have her try every single one. Every manufacturer offers free trial products. Just go to their websites and put in a request. Finding an appliance that works well for her will go a long ways in her comfort. Obviously having a leaky appliance can be embarrassing, and those embarrassing moments will frustrate her to no end. So the sooner she finds an appliance that works with her body, the better. Also look in to getting some stealth belts. They make one for ocean activities thats made out of neoprene. And you can usually get your medical insurance to pay for it; they have forms right on the site to get reimbursed.

When I dove, I didn't yet know about stealthbelts. So I didnt wear one then. I do wear one nowadays when I surf. But surfing wetsuits are pretty different from diving wetsuits. Its hard to say if it would have been comfortable to wear one. I pretty much always had a lycra surf shirt to keep my appliance hidden.

Anyways, I feel like I'm rambling. But if you have more questions, ask away. I'm happy to help.

Thank you for your story and information, I appreciate it.

To be honest we were never really upset about the stoma. It was the only way to make sure the cancer would be thorougly removed so our attitude was the quicker the better.
Even though we're only a few months in now she has no trouble with it nor do I, we're just happy she's healthy and up and running again. We feel lucky.

That is truly amazing. I'm super happy to hear that she has a new lease on life. You cant ask for anything more.

Just here to tell that by now my wife has made a few dives and it is indeed (with some preparations) something of a non issue.
This whole episode (and some other hefty things that happened the past year) has made us live more aware and spent our time better so live by your name and hang in there Carpediem!

Just here to tell that by now my wife has made a few dives and it is indeed (with some preparations) something of a non issue.
Bumping an old post on hopes of gathering some information. I will be having a cystectomy in a couple months after chemo. Looking on the other side of treatment and recovery, I'd like to dive again.

@TheDivingDutchman, if you're still around, can you provide some details about the preparation needed for diving with the urostomy?

I will have an surgery this month and need an ostomy bag after this. I have been an active diver for many years, except for covid years, and do want to continue diving. Obviously the question is can I dive again? The Huth posts are very encouraging. Simply put when life gives you lemons you make lemonade or I think Huth post tells me that where there is a will the is a way.

Does anyone have links to papers regarding this? It is interesting professionally. I wonder how the bag stays in place when you dive. I would have thought that the pressure Delta would cause significant problems.

I will have an surgery this month and need an ostomy bag after this. I have been an active diver for many years, except for covid years, and do want to continue diving. Obviously the question is can I dive again? The Huth posts are very encouraging. Simply put when life gives you lemons you make lemonade or I think Huth post tells me that where there is a will the is a way.
I have my urostomy, but I haven't attempted to dive yet. Based on reports of people on cancer support forums, it appears there should be no issue.

It makes sense logically as well. Whatever air is trapped in the bag will compress at depth, then expand to the original volume at the surface.
Does anyone have links to papers regarding this? It is interesting professionally. I wonder how the bag stays in place when you dive. I would have thought that the pressure Delta would cause significant problems.
I've attempted to look for more serious articles, but struck out. The pouch is attached to the skin surrounding the stoma by adhesive. I can't imagine it falling off while diving, as I've had mine in the Jacuzzi for about an hour without issues.

The only issue I might foresee is pressure on the pouch causing some kind of reflux. I discussed it with the urologist, and he said that's unlikely as the stoma acts as a kind of one way valve. Additionally, many of the new pouches themselves have one way baffles that keep waste from contacting the skin.

I'd love to hear your thoughts though.

Back
Top Bottom