Diving with one arm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prestonhf01:
is there any way to defleate bcd with out crossing over

I have two arms and I still never use my left to deflate my BC nor do I ever reach across. I have a right shoulder dump that I use all the time to deflate my BC. There is no loss of finesse in trimming.

I would have thought that finding a BC with a shoulder dump then swapping the inflate with it would be the easiest TBH and I really can't see why there should be any problem with with hose routing, I've dived with people with double bladder wings which have an inflate hose on both sides and I've never heard anyone have problems with hose routing. If your using a drysuit the hose generally comes under the right shoulder.

I also dive with only my right arm and I agree with Sasquatch - speed is not really a good thing when it comes to bouyancy control. Or diving in general for that matter. I keep my inflator in my right almost all the time unless I'm taking a photo or something.

Another handy rigging you might try...run your console on the left side but attach it to a retractable cord on your right chest d-ring. This way you can just glance straight down at it without having to reach for it every time.

I had my one arm from the shoulder down tore apart to deal with cancer a while back. While I still have use of the hand, mobility of the shoulder is a problem.

Really I found diving SUPER helpful as it gave me a weightless environment to do physio in, not to mention was a welcome distraction. So far I have almost doubled my range of montion, something I attribute mostly to diving.

Just take the time to look at how you have rigged the gear. I swapped shoulder dump/inflators and switched the side that my reg's come of the tank. Totally backwards I know, but it works for me. Makes me look like a mirror image to people when they watch me in the water.

Use good retractors. It will keep everything imporatant centered. Get a good buddy who will help you when needed and good luck.

Another handy rigging you might try...run your console on the left side but attach it to a retractable cord on your right chest d-ring. This way you can just glance straight down at it without having to reach for it every time.

The other thing I'd suggest is avoid those huge brick-like consoles, get yourself one of those thin braided HP hoses (Miflex over here do them make sure to get one of the newer ones the old ones seem to have a habit of going bang),run that down the inflator hose to a simple SPG, right in front of you. Computer + Compass on your arm, much cleaner config.

HOG has a wing with center mounted inflator hose so it should be easy to route it.

Sure regulator part might be tough but 5 LP port (HOG for example) one should be ok to do so. 2 LP on the right and 1 LP on the bottom with turret slightly leaning to one side and you should be able to route all 3 LP hoses to the right. If you add drysuit later you would do that one on the left but inflator is in the chest area there so no problem.

It also has 2 HP ports so this too can be properly routed.

Good luck!

Can't operate a wrist computer with one arm. Bright side is absolutely no phantom pain while diving! Like J.Doe said, it's a welcome distraction!

Back
Top Bottom