Diving with my teenage sons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquanex

Co-Owner of YourBagTag.com
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just wanted to encourage anyone thinking about getting their teenagers certified for SCUBA diving. My youngest son, has been diving since he was 12 (now 15 and a half). He is one of the safest, most comfortable divers I have been in the water with (and I taught for 3 years in Northern CA). I am taking him with me on a live-aboard to Saba, St. Lucia, this fall. I can hardly wait.

Both my teenage sons (19 and 16) are certified and I dive with them both. The only problem is with our schedules the 3 of us have only been able to dive together once. They're both comfortable in the water though the older has more dives but the younger will get his dives in as well.

I think family diving can be a lot of fun, even if it gets expensive.

I was certified with my son me 43 him 13, then my other son was certified the year later at 18, as of today my daughter was certified at 10............now how to get the wife certified?

I have twin boys that were certified at 10. It was a struggle the first few years chasing two little guys around underwater after spending half the day trying to get all our gear on by myself. Now they are 16 and bigger then me so they can start dragging my stuff around. Last year we probably got in over 20 dive (Caped Cod for lobster, the Keystorm, the American, and the Islander were the bigger ones)

Im 15 and i dive with my dad and its great!
I got certified at 12, and we have been dive buddies since.

I have two daughters that were certified together the oldest was 12 and the other 10 they are now 14 and 12 and we love diving together I also have two more daughters ages 4 and 2 who all ready love the water and i suppose in about 8 more years i'll have two more divers - WOW i am going to have to get another job just to buy scuba gear.

I taught my oldest son to dive at age 10, and he was officially certified at age 12. At that time 12 was the lowest age for certification. It was a great experience for both of us. He is now 21, a Divemaster, and wants to go onto instructor.
Diving is a great family activity.
Safe Diving,
George
PADI MSDT 33859
Prime Scuba

My younger daughter 8 years old has logged 15 ocean bubble maker; she can't wait to be certified; her sister was certified at 11 years - 2 years ago. We really enjoy this activity - the only problem when traveling, with 4 set gears, our bgage always overweight.

My son was also certified at 10 and just completed his AOW course. He wants to complete his junior master diver program as well. I figure he can get a job at one of the local dive shops when he's in high school and then a summer job abroad during college breaks. It was great taking the course with him and learning new skills. All of the "more seasoned" divers love hanging out with him while we're on trips! He is actually one of the most safe divers I've been out with. He'll be joining Odessey Expeditions next summer for a one month live aboard with other teens (he's 12 now) and marine biologist in the Windward Islands. It seems like a nice program and a great way to get them out to dicsover the other world......I won't go diving without him. I couldn't ask for a better and well behaved dive buddy.

My son, 14, and I just got certified in May and we absolutely love it. We are going to go for our AOW in the spring. We are trying to dive at least every other month. We went out to Anacapa two days ago and it was beautiful. We are looking to do a vacation in the Caribbean and are looking at a liveaboard so I would be interested in hearing about anyone who has done one with a teenager.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom