Diving with Teenagers in NorCal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

larcatian

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello! I just got both of my sons into SCUBA (just were certified in Monterey last weekend). They are 12 and 14. I was curious for those of you with teenagers that dive if you had any suggestions for dive trips in the local area that you love. Also, since my wife decided that this isn't the activity for her, having a location that one of us can do something other than diving is ideal. We live in Marin. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forums! I started diving with my teenage son when he was 13, and it's been great (he's 17 now, and we've had some great times).

I saw your other post saying y'all are going to Cozumel sometime soon -- that's our favorite place to go, and has a good bit of things to do for non-divers (my wife and teenage daughter do not dive). This web site: Create Unforgettable Adventures in Cozumel! which we've booked tours through a number of times in the past covers almost any type of activity a person might want to do there.

I'm not affiliated with the site, and many of those tours could be done with a taxi or by yourself if renting a car (going to the Mayan ruins at San Gervasio, driving to the eastern "wild" side, going to Punta Sur park or Chankanaab park, etc.) but the site does give a good overview, and we have had good luck booking several things with them.

Hello! I just got both of my sons into SCUBA (just were certified in Monterey last weekend). They are 12 and 14. I was curious for those of you with teenagers that dive if you had any suggestions for dive trips in the local area that you love. Also, since my wife decided that this isn't the activity for her, having a location that one of us can do something other than diving is ideal. We live in Marin. Thanks in advance!
Monterey Breakwater for more fun on the wall or the metridium fields? Always a good time and being Monterey lots of shopping.
You could also think about checking out the Sonoma Coast. Who is your dive shop?
Most around here host fun dives. I’m associated with Seal’s Water Sports in Santa Rosa and they do fun dives about once a month or depending on weather somewhere out on the coast between Sonoma and Mendocino, sometimes Monterey. Last Sunday we did a purple urchin removal dive at Stillwater Cove Regional Park in Sonoma County. It was a lot of fun.
Cheers!
Welcome to scubaboard!

Welcome! I’m in Pleasanton. Long time warm water diver toying with trying out CA diving, but haven’t yet.

As mentioned above, while you dive the Monterey Breakwater (or McAbee Beach), she can walk around Cannery Row (very touristy), maybe visit the Aquarium.

Point Lobos State Reserve has beautiful hiking. Unfortunately alot of the diving is becoming urchin barren or its on its way, but there's enough still there to dive.

Monastery Beach is a challenging site within walking distance (about a mile) of Point Lobos. Its a rough surf entry, so maybe not appropriate for the youngest right now, unless he's a strong swimmer and comfortable in the surf. Anyone diving Monastery for the first time should go with someone who knows the site and how to manage entry/exit.

Welcome to the forums! I started diving with my teenage son when he was 13, and it's been great (he's 17 now, and we've had some great times).

I saw your other post saying y'all are going to Cozumel sometime soon -- that's our favorite place to go, and has a good bit of things to do for non-divers (my wife and teenage daughter do not dive). This web site: Create Unforgettable Adventures in Cozumel! which we've booked tours through a number of times in the past covers almost any type of activity a person might want to do there.

I'm not affiliated with the site, and many of those tours could be done with a taxi or by yourself if renting a car (going to the Mayan ruins at San Gervasio, driving to the eastern "wild" side, going to Punta Sur park or Chankanaab park, etc.) but the site does give a good overview, and we have had good luck booking several things with them.
Thank you for the suggestions! I will check it out.

Monterey Breakwater for more fun on the wall or the metridium fields? Always a good time and being Monterey lots of shopping.
You could also think about checking out the Sonoma Coast. Who is your dive shop?
Most around here host fun dives. I’m associated with Seal’s Water Sports in Santa Rosa and they do fun dives about once a month or depending on weather somewhere out on the coast between Sonoma and Mendocino, sometimes Monterey. Last Sunday we did a purple urchin removal dive at Stillwater Cove Regional Park in Sonoma County. It was a lot of fun.
Cheers!
Welcome to scubaboard!
Thank you. Our shop is Marin Diving Center in San Rafael and they also do last-minute fun dives fairly regularly. Appreciate the suggestions!

Welcome to the forum. If you are ever up the Sacramento way, come out and join my crew and I (I also have a teenager who is MAD about diving. Looking to make a career of it and will be a DM this coming summer). We dive a LOT during the warmer months (4 dives a week) and a little during the colder times (1 or 2x per week). We are treasure hunters/collectors and river custodians picking up after all the other folks who don't know how to treat out waters.

We typically hit Monterey once a month and love diving at the Breakwater, McAbee, Lover's Point, Point Lobos and Monastery. My kid is 15, dives dry and is an outstanding diver and already has over 100 dives to her name. We are always welcoming of new dive pals and are eager to meet new dive fam.

Cheers!

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom