Diving with my teenage sons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have done two live-aboards with my teenage sons and I am getting ready to do a third this fall. We did one in the British Virgin Islands and one in St Vincent and the Grenadine Islands. We had a great time. They were completely entertained by the diving, talking to the other divers. For the "hang out" times, they brought their Game Boys and iPods. They are also both book readers. We never encounter the "I'm bored". Many times they would even go back into the water and and snorkel when they weren't diving.

My son is 13 and daughter is 10. They dive warm water ocean, but have also done fossil dives in rivers.
They are rock stars. My son wants to DM in high school summer vacations later. My daughter wants to be a marine biologist. I am stuck buying a Lot of gear..... :)

My son was almost 11 and my daughter 15 when they did their OW and immediately after their AOW. They are my favotire dive buddies, although my now 15 year old son is always great at spotting any of my "do as I say, not as I do" errors.
They are fish, while I will always be just a land animal that loves the water!
I believe that helping them to discover the world beneither the surface will be one of the greatest gifts that I will have ever given them.

My son and I went to Aruba and had a blast! However, if we go to the ABC islands again we're going to Bonaire instead as I hear the reefs are outstanding. We haven't had an opportunity to go on a live-aboard....yet. We dive Mexico often since it's only a few hours away.

My son and I went to Aruba and had a blast! However, if we go to the ABC islands again we're going to Bonaire instead as I hear the reefs are outstanding. We haven't had an opportunity to go on a live-aboard....yet. We dive Mexico often since it's only a few hours away.

You don't want to go to Bonaire... the reefs are too beautiful, the many dive sites are too easy to get to and the shore diving is way too easy!!! You'll just be spoiled!

Diving is supposed to test your manhood, with rough seas, nasty currents, nasty dangerous climbs up bouncing ladders, not so easy that you can just drive up to the sites and walk out into gentle seas!

My teenagers and my GF (and myself) have fallen in love with Bonaire. We just returned from our third visit. The reefs, especially Bari are outstanding.

I have dove with my dad for three years I those are memories that I will cherish for my whole life! Being in the water is such an awesome experience

Got OW certified with my son 3 years ago. My oldest daughter two years ago and my youngest daughter is planning on getting hers this summer. My son and oldest daughter are the best dive buddies I have ever dove with. Safe, in control and do a great job of keeping me out of trouble! The younger daughter will probably be the same. This is a great sport for the family to get involved with.

This is a great sport for the family to get involved with.

Agreed, but a LOT less expensive when there was just me to pay for! Two teenagers diving sure drives up the cost of warm water diving vacations quickly.

Warm water vacations? You are right about the costs although both teenagers work and understand Dads pockets are not bottomless. All of our diving thus far has been local and with my sons and mine association with the BSA we can get some pretty good deals if we go with the Troop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom