Diving with my drysuit in tropical water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suebee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello Fellow SBs,

I am going on a live aboard trip in February to Socorro (the Nautilus Explorer).

It will be multiple dives - 4/ day. The water temp is low 70s F (approx 22 C). I have a Mobby's tri-laminate Dry suit that I use in British Columbia (water temp low 50s F). The Live aboard and my LDS both said i might be able to use my dry suit on this trip. Anyone out there with experience using their tri-lam suit in warmer water?

Thanks for your thoughts and experience

Well, florida caves are in the 68-72 range year-round and I use my drysuit there. I use a 100g Tilos undergarment that is just warm enough for those temps. Bottom times upwards of 2hrs are no problem for me w/ that garment. I think for multi-day, multi-dive liveaboard stuff I would rather use a wetsuit for convenience but a DS is certainly doable.

Well, florida caves are in the 68-72 range year-round and I use my drysuit there. I use a 100g Tilos undergarment that is just warm enough for those temps. Bottom times upwards of 2hrs are no problem for me w/ that garment. I think for multi-day, multi-dive liveaboard stuff I would rather use a wetsuit for convenience but a DS is certainly doable.

Is your DS a trilam?

When my husband went to Galapagos, he said getting in and out of his wet suit 5 times a day was uncomfortable - and people started to chafe after multiple days. So maybe dry is the answer...? Just get the right undergarment(s)

Thanks for your experience!

Sue

70 is just about my threshold for mandatory dry. Below 70 I'm dry. Above 75 I'm wet. 70-75 it depends on other factors like weather, number of dives per day, length of dives, number of days diving. I'd say bring the drysuit. If the other kids laugh at you because of how you're dressed, you can return the favor when they get cold.

Did the Dry Tortugas trip last year in February on board the Ultimate Getaway. I really wished I had my thin trilam drysuit... water temps hovered just below 70 F... air temps in the low 70's... and doing multiple dives per day, I could tell that I was more tired than I should have been...

Fast forward to this year, Key Largo in December used the drysuit and felt great... kept plenty warm enough even with the thinest undergarment... made a huge difference...

Just gotta remember to hook up the inflator hose... doh! ... yeah I forgot a couple times... wasn't an issue on the shallow dives... it was on that deeper one... but at about 70 ft. managed to get it connected up (had really good incentive to do so)... rofl

Did the Dry Tortugas trip last year in February on board the Ultimate Getaway. I really wished I had my thin trilam drysuit... water temps hovered just below 70 F... air temps in the low 70's... and doing multiple dives per day, I could tell that I was more tired than I should have been...

Q: When you say your thin trilam...Is this a tropical or other special lighter weight trilam drysuit? Or would this be similar to my Mobby's trilam?

Thanks for your help

Your trilaminate drysuit with light insulation will be perfect for that trip!

I use mine in water up to 80F degrees just by matching the temps with layers of Polartec fleece. I got funny looks on a couple North Carolina charters, but that didn't bother me.... I wasn't the one shivering! :D

Light insulation will make for a looser and more flexible fit in the water and a very comfy surface interval!

The looser fit may require more effort to manage the air bubble in the suit, since the air will probably shift more rapidly than with thick insulation. Vent the suit for more squeeze perhaps. You might consider gaiters, too.

Maybe you could get some pool time to practice before the trip.

For multiple dives in those temps your drysuit will feel wonderful! :)

Dave C

Your trilaminate drysuit with light insulation will be perfect for that trip!

I use mine in water up to 80F degrees just by matching the temps with layers of Polartec fleece. I may have been getting funny looks on a couple North Carolina charters, but that didn't bother me.... I wasn't the one shivering! :D

Light insulation will make for a loose, but more flexible fit in the water and a very comfy surface interval!

The looser fit may require more effort to manage the air bubble in the suit, since it will move more rapidly than with thick insulation. Vent the suit for more squeeze perhaps. Venting more is all I do, but you might consider gaiters, too.

Maybe you could get some pool time to practice before the trip.

For multiple dives in those temps your drysuit will be perfect! :)

Dave C

THANKS! That is the info and experience I was looking for - most appreciated - Happy bubbles to you!

Sue

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom