Diving with my drysuit in tropical water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go with the dry suit. Doesn't matter what the water temp is if you are in and out 4 - 5 times per day then you will eventually get cold/cool. Use the dry suit with light insulation under it and be cozy warm and comfy all day long.

I wore a dry suit last night in 69 degree water and it was great! Underarmor sweats on bottom and top and a regular sweatshirt also on top for a 2nd layer. I even wore mens dress socks to keep thin and comfortable and was very warm.

Great question from SueBee. I have a similiar question. Will be going to Key Largo in Mar. I get cold easily so i invested in 5m compressed neoprene dry suit to extend the season here is sunny Ohio. Was wondering, even with the lighest undergarmets, if this would likely be too warm for the keys in March.

Great question from SueBee. I have a similiar question. Will be going to Key Largo in Mar. I get cold easily so i invested in 5m compressed neoprene dry suit to extend the season here is sunny Ohio. Was wondering, even with the lighest undergarmets, if this would likely be too warm for the keys in March.

One of the many reasons I prefer a trilam suit. They can be as warm as I need, just keep adding insulation, but in warm weather they can also be cooler than all but the thinnest of wetsuits.

I did my last cave diving trip to Mexico in a drysuit (75 to 77 degree water). I wore a base layer and a layer of polarfleece sweats from Lands End, and I was almost too warm (lovely feeling!) I do have a couple of things to share:

1. I agree that the suit will feel strange and it will take a dive or so to get used to managing the air in it with so little undergarment. My buoyancy was a little off at first.

2. When a drysuit has a failure, you are much more uncomfortable in wet undergarments than you are in a wetsuit.

3. From my experiences travelling with a dry suit, they choose the times when you are further from home and most want to do the dives to cause trouble. Take your wetsuit as a backup.

But, even with all that, I was so comfortable diving dry in that warm water that I'm seriously considering taking my Fusion with me EVERYWHERE from now on.

I did my last cave diving trip to Mexico in a drysuit (75 to 77 degree water). I wore a base layer and a layer of polarfleece sweats from Lands End, and I was almost too warm (lovely feeling!) I do have a couple of things to share:

1. I agree that the suit will feel strange and it will take a dive or so to get used to managing the air in it with so little undergarment. My buoyancy was a little off at first.

2. When a drysuit has a failure, you are much more uncomfortable in wet undergarments than you are in a wetsuit.

3. From my experiences travelling with a dry suit, they choose the times when you are further from home and most want to do the dives to cause trouble. Take your wetsuit as a backup.

But, even with all that, I was so comfortable diving dry in that warm water that I'm seriously considering taking my Fusion with me EVERYWHERE from now on.

I'm going to Phuket at the end of February, the water temps are expected to be 80-84F, I'm wondering if I take my trilam DS do you think polarfleece might be a little too warm? Do you have the "100" weight product? If you think that type of undergarment would be too warm, what would be the next lighter that you could consider?

Maybe I'll come to my senses and just take my 3 mm wetsuit, but until then, thanks for any info and suggestions.

Mark

I used a drysuit frequently off North Carolina (out of Morehead City) when the water temps were in the high 70s (78 degrees F at the surface). The first dive I used a heavier undergarment and almost passed out from the heat. After that I went with a set of polypro longjohns and a thin polarfleece pullover. It was perfect. I also used a pair of wool socks, however, because I own a DUI 450 with the rock boots, and needed the socks for ensuring the boots/fins fit well.

Other than that, I find that diving dry is an extremely enjoyable way to perform multiple dives per day even in water temps in the high 70s (F). Stay in long enough, often enough, and you can find yourself chilled otherwise.

I do agree with the earlier poster who suggested that you at least try out your drysuit in a pool before your trip - it gives you an opportunity to compare and contrast undergarments. Not only that, but with thin undergarments you may find you require less weight as well.

Best,

Doc

I went to Soccoro aboard the NE 2 years ago. One woman from the pacific northwest wore her trilam drysuit and didn't have any problem. I dove my old (somewhat crushed) 7mm wetsuit and was toasty warm. Personally, even though I love my DUI flex 50/50 drysuit, I still find wetsuit diving easier and there is so much to see in the Revillagigdos that I would prefer less of my attention spent on the dive mechanics and more spent on sightseeing.

I'm going to Phuket at the end of February, the water temps are expected to be 80-84F, I'm wondering if I take my trilam DS do you think polarfleece might be a little too warm? Do you have the "100" weight product? If you think that type of undergarment would be too warm, what would be the next lighter that you could consider?

Maybe I'll come to my senses and just take my 3 mm wetsuit, but until then, thanks for any info and suggestions.

Mark
FWIW I dove in the Maldives in similar water temps, multiple dives per day, and really enjoyed my 3 mm wetsuit (Pinnacle lined with Merino wool)

Have a GREAT trip!

~Sue

Back
Top Bottom