Diving with Mantas in August - Where to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you. I have limited options at this point. The Singapore Airlines flight that is the cheapest is $1322 and goes Dalls-LAX, then LAX-Seoul, then Seoul-Singapore, then Singapore-Bali. So, 33 hours and four planes later, I'm in Bali.

Thank you for the recommendation of Eva Air. I wasn't even seeing that in my searches and they have a flight for $1255 that is three planes and 31 hours DFW to Seattle, Seattle to Taiwan, and Taiwan to Bali. On the way back, it's 36 hours with a 13 hour layover in Seattle.

I think Eva Air might be better since there are less plane changes, and thus less chance for them to lose my luggage.

I booked my upcoming November flight about 7 months ago (around January) for a roundtrip Houston-Denpasar via Manchester with Singapore Airlines for $680. I think Eva Air can also be as good service as Singapore Airlines. Check it out.

Not seeing a Manta for three weeks in Indonesia would really upset me for this trip. I'd almost rather be packed in with divers and see Mantas, than search around for three weeks and never see one.

I did Indo in February and had a blast. The diversity was incredible! ...But after 3 weeks there, we got skunked for mantas.

Thank you. I have limited options at this point. The Singapore Airlines flight that is the cheapest is $1322 and goes Dalls-LAX, then LAX-Seoul, then Seoul-Singapore, then Singapore-Bali. So, 33 hours and four planes later, I'm in Bali.

Thank you for the recommendation of Eva Air. I wasn't even seeing that in my searches and they have a flight for $1255 that is three planes and 31 hours DFW to Seattle, Seattle to Taiwan, and Taiwan to Bali. On the way back, it's 36 hours with a 13 hour layover in Seattle.

I think Eva Air might be better since there are less plane changes, and thus less chance for them to lose my luggage.

I don't know if you have looked into this yet, but another idea is buying a LAX or SFO flight and then trying to link up your own ticket between DFW to one of these hubs. There are often sales from LAX and SFO to southeast asia because of the number of carriers that service these routes makes lots of competition. You can often find something in the $500's even close-in. It might be something to look into.....

You can book and cancel within 24 hours with no penalties - refund to your credit card. You can utilize this to pair up some flights to see if it works out in case pricing is very dynamic between the time you can look and book.

A great tool that you can use is Google Flights or ITA Matrix.

I did Indo in February and had a blast. The diversity was incredible! ...But after 3 weeks there, we got skunked for mantas.

That's too bad. Where did you go in February in Indonesia?

I went to Misool, Raja Ampat, specifically in dive site called Magic Mountain, 3 times around late December, late January & mid March. Always had good luck to see the giant oceanic manta. They are huge. My guess they are about twice the size of the reef mantas that I have seen in any other places (Manta Sandy, Manta Ridge, Manta Alley, Taka Makassar & Manta Point). I have seen the oceanic manta in Blue Magic, central Raja Ampat too.

These giants have a trade mark of white collar and wing tips (not all black top as you usually see on the smaller cousin reef mantas) as shown below:

bM0030495.JPG

bM0030508.JPG

Thank you. That's a good idea. I have family near LAX and I could leverage that to stay over a day to try to sync up a flight. Finding something from LAX to DPS for $500 would be awesome. I'll search that.

I don't know if you have looked into this yet, but another idea is buying a LAX or SFO flight and then trying to link up your own ticket between DFW to one of these hubs. There are often sales from LAX and SFO to southeast asia because of the number of carriers that service these routes makes lots of competition. You can often find something in the $500's even close-in. It might be something to look into.....

You can book and cancel within 24 hours with no penalties - refund to your credit card. You can utilize this to pair up some flights to see if it works out in case pricing is very dynamic between the time you can look and book.

A great tool that you can use is Google Flights or ITA Matrix.

Eva Air is one of the pioneer (about 10-12 years ago) of coach + seat for big guy like you for additional $100-200. It's worthwhile to get one if one is still available for the grueling 30-hour flights.

There's a $600 up-charge total round-trip for the Elite Saver tickets. I assume that is the only way to get the plus size seats.

Eva Air is one of the pioneer (about 10-12 years ago) of coach + seat for big guy like you for additional $100-200. It's worthwhile to get one if one is still available for the grueling 30-hour flights.

Thank you. That's a good idea. I have family near LAX and I could leverage that to stay over a day to try to sync up a flight. Finding something from LAX to DPS for $500 would be awesome. I'll search that.

I did a quick search hand in late August you could get out of SFO for mid $700's...I didn't check LAX though. Another idea is if you have frequent flyer miles or points with a credit card, you could do an award trip.

Not seeing a Manta for three weeks in Indonesia would really upset me for this trip. I'd almost rather be packed in with divers and see Mantas, than search around for three weeks and never see one.
I know your big goal is to see mantas, but the diving in Indonesia is so awesome I highly doubt you would come back really upset.

People have been mentioning Kona for mantas. True, but comparing Kona to Indonesia is like picking McDonalds instead of a 5 star restaurant because you are in the mood for a hamburger.

I know your big goal is to see mantas, but the diving in Indonesia is so awesome I highly doubt you would come back really upset.

People have been mentioning Kona for mantas. True, but comparing Kona to Indonesia is like picking McDonalds instead of a 5 star restaurant because you are in the mood for a hamburger.

I wholeheartedly agree. Even with no mantas, the diving there is jaw-dropping incredible, Komodo specifically. It stole my heart...you will not regret it. I don't think Hawaii even comes close in the way that it made me feel when I was underrwater. It felt like I was diving in a staged aquarium. It was amazing. AMAZING!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom