Diving with just a watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know, this is the problem with online forums.

The original point was that computers are not life support. Not that they shouldn't be used. Or that they can be helpful. Not that the OP shouldn't buy one.

Just that, if you choose to, you can dive comfortably without one, therefore, not life support. Period.

It really is that simple.

Really? What a load of codswallop. As I recall the OP said: "So, I was wondering.. does anyone still dive using just a watch and tables (i.e. no computer)--is this still a normal practice or is it the minority now?"

Where was life support mentioned? That came from the more "seasoned" divers arguing their old arguments.

The responses in the forum from the old timers in this forum are PERFECT examples of the point that I made. The more they argue, the more representative they are of the old paradigm. These bogus statistics of "I've had three computers fail on me" and "Mine exploded at 60 feet" are total BS. Yeah, that might have happened...but I'm sure new BCs have failed as have regs. The new will triumph. Old timers will die off. They always do. Watches are doomed as future "life support" necessities in SCUBA.

Where was life support mentioned?

Post #15.

Really, the OP even posted after that he/she was getting valuable information out of the general discussion, specifically in post #29.

To quote the OP:

I was looking to get an idea of how other divers viewed the watch vs. computer idea and I think I got that.

And somewhere in there it started going around in circles.

Thanks for your continued interest though :)

Really? What a load of codswallop. As I recall the OP said: "So, I was wondering.. does anyone still dive using just a watch and tables (i.e. no computer)--is this still a normal practice or is it the minority now?"

Where was life support mentioned? That came from the more "seasoned" divers arguing their old arguments.

The responses in the forum from the old timers in this forum are PERFECT examples of the point that I made. The more they argue, the more representative they are of the old paradigm. These bogus statistics of "I've had three computers fail on me" and "Mine exploded at 60 feet" are total BS. Yeah, that might have happened...but I'm sure new BCs have failed as have regs. The new will triumph. Old timers will die off. They always do. Watches are doomed as future "life support" necessities in SCUBA.

This is more BS, blah, blah, blah.

N

This is more BS, blah, blah, blah.

N

Coming from someone with a horsecollar, a Squale mask, and a two hose reg...that's priceless!

Talk about OLD BS... :crafty:

You guys will never change. But that's OK too. :(

Plenty of research right here on ScubaBoard, if you're up for looking for it. Several threads in the equipment forum discussing various failures on computers.

Personally, I've had three go bad on me while diving ... two Oceanic Versa Pro's and a Suunto Vytec. In the first case, the computer gave me data I knew was bad during the dive ... and after the dive it continued to tell me that I was at between 15 and 20 fsw (this while I was driving home on I-5). In the second, it told me that I was at over 160 fsw ... even though I was at a dive site where it's impossible to get below 40 fsw without excavation equipment. In the third case, the computer would occasionally tell me I was shallower than I knew myself to be ... sometimes by more than 20 feet ... bad juju when you're doing deco stops.

Dive computers aren't any different than any other piece of electronic gear ... it can fail without notice. Jeckyll is correct that there is only a very thin, single o-ring protecting the battery compartment on most dive computers. While I wouldn't exactly call it "prone to failure", I have seen them fail and moisture get into the battery.

Also, consider that most dive equipment manufacturers will only warranty their computer for (at most) two years. After that, they will not repair them when they break ... you basically throw it away and buy a new one. That's what I had to do with my Vytec ... which is an $800 computer.

These days I dive a bottom timer. I do own two dive computers ... an Uwatec Aladdin Tec2G and an Oceanic Veo N100. I use the Tec2G in gauge mode, and the Oceanic is a spare I keep handy in case a student or dive buddy needs it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
You just said there is research to back up that its prone to failure, and then in the same post said you wouldnt call it prone to failure. Which is it?

As one of the more "seasoned" (salted?) divers here might I point out that "life support" arguement did not come from the "seasoned" group that you seem to distain:
It being a life support equipment you do the same thing if your reg or your watch fails. End the dive and ascend.
Computers were brought to you by the old-timers, not the newbies. As one of several dozen "seasoned" divers, all of whom served as mid-wives to the birth of dive computer as we know it, might I strongly recomment your reading the report that we prepared back in 1988 (Proceedings of Dive Computer Workshop) prior to forming erronious opinions concerning who believes (believed) what. Computer failure and data loss was one of our biggest concerns and is directly addressed in several of the papers as well as the workshop's recommentations.

As one of the more "seasoned" (salted?) divers here might I point out that "life support" arguement did not come from the "seasoned" group that you seem to distain:

I never stated anything about seasoned divers. Nor do I dis(t)ain (sic) or disdain anyone. Read the threads. You're quoting someone else.

>> Computers were brought to you by the old-timers, not the newbies.

Obviously. You think that it was introduced by newbie divers? C'mon Thal, you're too smart. This is not meant to be a flame. :cuddles: This is good old philosophy of science. All new technologies go through many different stages of acceptance. "Seasoned old-timers" like you make a discovery. Most of your generation (and I'm not that far away!) either reject it or take a long time to accept. Most new users have a far less steep acceptance curve. There is a usually a very gradual change of paradigm and voila - most divers are using computers. I'm not suggesting that old-timers resist change altogether, it just takes them a little longer. And some never do. Think of iPods, cell phones, computers...dive computers are right there too.

I neither I dis(t)ain (sic) or disdain anyone. I may disagree and detest some people but never disdain. Disdain is reserved for the DIR snobs.

>> Computers were brought to you by the old-timers, not the newbies.

Obviously. You think that it was introduced by newbie divers? C'mon Thal, you're too smart. This is not meant to be a flame. :cuddles: This is good old philosophy of science. All new technologies go through many different stages of acceptance. "Seasoned old-timers" like you make a discovery. Most of your generation (and I'm not that far away!) either reject it or take a long time to accept. Most new users have far less steep acceptance curve. There is a usually a very gradual change of paradigm and voila - most divers are using computers. I'm not suggesting that old-timers resist change altogether, it just takes them a little longer. And some never do. Think of iPods, cell phones, computers...dive computers are right there too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom