Diving with gradient factors for a new recreational diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got a recommended "deep stop" at about 15m few times when diving close to 40m on air (without passing NDL). Standard conservative setting on my recreational i770r

Recommended by whom?
I would imagine that it is recommended by the Aqua Lung i770r computer with the deep stop setting turned on.

Edit, I see that @lowwall beat me to it. This is easy to eliminate, turn deep stops off. The Morroni, Bennett article has been discussed many times on SB, I believe @boulderjohn knows it quite well.

@exodusmaximus Why is a diver using PZ+ responding to a thread discussing GFs?

I would imagine that it is recommended by the Aqua Lung i770r computer with the deep stop setting turned on.

Edit, I see that @lowwall beat me to it. This is easy to eliminate, turn deep stops off. The Morroni, Bennett article has been discussed many times on SB, I believe @boulderjohn knows it quite well.

@exodusmaximus Why is a diver using PZ+ responding to a thread discussing GFs?
Why not? I still have my old sharewater I no longer use - no air integration. r770i was a gift and I actually really like it (other than it doesn't support trimix) - I will eventually get perdix2 or descent, once I actually take tec courses. Yes, I can disable deep stop but why? If I blow by it there is no computer penalty...

My dive computer i770r
Got it. You have a computer algorithm with a setting that calls for it.

That doesn't make it a good idea.

• Bullseye!
Reactions: L13

Why not? This isn't the same as super deep deco stops, it turns itself off if you exceed NDL. I don't believe there is any evidence that a short stop at half depth for NDL dives over 80' is harmful.

FWIW, it looks quite sensible to me. It's also similar to the original Pyle stops for which we have at least anecdotal evidence are helpful for relieving fatigue and other sub-clinical post-dive annoyances.

Why not? This isn't the same as super deep deco stops, it turns itself off if you exceed NDL. I don't believe there is any evidence that a short stop at half depth for NDL dives over 80' is harmful.
I was planning to write an article on the topic of deep stops on NDL ascents. I asked Simon Mitchell for help, and he declined because he said there is not enough evidence on this topic to draw a conclusion. I then did my own research and found that there is not enough evidence to draw a conclusion.
FWIW, it looks quite sensible to me. It's also similar to the original Pyle stops for which we have at least anecdotal evidence are helpful for relieving fatigue and other sub-clinical post-dive annoyances.
The original Pyle stops were done on very deep dives. His description of them started the deep stops craze from which we have recently emerged.

As I wrote just above this, there is not enough evidence to support doing deep stops in recreational diving. Similarly, there is not enough evidence to oppose them. I myself am neutral on the topic. When I am doing NDL dives, I am usually doing a multi-level dive, so a deep stop is meaningless.

My point is this: the fact that someone wrote an algorithm calling for deep stops does not make it a good idea. It does not make it a bad idea, either. There just isn't enough research to draw a conclusion.

:popcorn:
I'm not going to say all the things that could be said about deep stops being out of favor (see below), but I will say that @AnotherDiverHere did a really interesting interview with Pyle where Pyle said he's only once dived a profile with Pyle stops. He goes on to explain how he essentially made up deep stop profiles for an article he wrote.

Why not? 15m stop for 3 min is "bad idea" when you went to 35m+? Plus I can ignore it, computer won't penalize me if I do...

Why not? 15m stop for 3 min is "bad idea" when you went to 35m+? Plus I can ignore it, computer won't penalize me if I do...
Will it penalise you if you miss its "mandatory" "safety stop"**? Many lock you out of using it for 48h of dryness.

**A safety stop isn't mandatory. If it is, it's called decompression.

Stopping half way up is old school as most people consider stopping deep to on-gas seems an odd thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom