Diving with Diabetes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have Juvennile type 1 diabeties.

Divers with Type 1 diabetes may find this interesting:

"Diabetes Technol Ther. 2009 Aug;11(8):493-7.

Accuracy and reliability of continuous glucose monitoring in individuals with type 1 diabetes

during recreational diving.Adolfsson P, Ornhagen H, Jendle J.

1 Göteborg Pediatric Growth Research Center, Department of Pediatrics, Institute for the Health of Women and Children, The Sahlgrenska Academy at Gothenburg University , Göteborg, Sweden .

Abstract:

Background: This study evaluated the accuracy and function of the Continuous Glucose Monitoring System (CGMS((R)), Minneapolis, MN) during recreational scuba diving in individuals with type 1 diabetes.

Methods: Twenty-four adults, 12 with type 1 diabetes and 12 healthy controls, were studied during five recreational scuba dives performed on three consecutive days. All the participants used the CGMS on all the days and during all the dives. Comparisons were made between plasma glucose at specific time intervals and the CGMS.

Results: The recording by the CGMS was robust, with few sensor problems. The mean sensor survival time was >48 h. Eighty-five percent of the individuals used one sensor during the entire length of the trial. The overall mean absolute difference (MAD) within the group with diabetes was 14.4 +/- 6%, and the corresponding daily figures were 23.2 +/- 19.3% on day 1, 11.6 +/- 4.5% on day 2, and 11.2 +/- 5.7% on day 3. A significant improvement regarding MAD when day 1 was compared with day 2 and 3 (P < 0.05). With a limit set at 70 mg/dL, hypoglycemia pre- and post-dive was detected with a positive predictive value of 0.39, negative predictive value of 0.98, sensitivity of 0.64, and specificity of 0.94.

Conclusions: We demonstrate that the CGMS was used with accuracy in such difficult conditions as scuba diving and provided robust information on glucose variations."

Regards,

DocVikngo

Divers with Type 1 diabetes may find this interesting:

"Diabetes Technol Ther. 2009 Aug;11(8):493-7.

Accuracy and reliability of continuous glucose monitoring in individuals with type 1 diabetes
. . .

Conclusions: We demonstrate that the CGMS was used with accuracy in such difficult conditions as scuba diving and provided robust information on glucose variations."

Regards,

DocVikngo

Interesting. Any information on the type of CGMS being used? I believe all models available for public consumption are water resistant not waterproof. I use a CGMS and insulin pump inside my drysuit with no issues, however I would never take either of them on a wet dive!!!

Any information on the type of CGMS being used?

Medtronic's latest Guardian REAL-Time System. According to the manufacturer, the unit is waterproof to a depth of 8' for 30 min.

The diving in this study was drysuit.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Medtronic's latest Guardian REAL-Time System. According to the manufacturer, the unit is waterproof to a depth of 8' for 30 min.

The diving in this study was drysuit.

Regards,

DocVikingo

I have loads of dives using both the Medtronic CGMS and the Paradigm insulin pump within a drysuit to depths of over 100' without issues. If anyone wants to study me I welcome them :)

Hello all,

I appreciate, once again, the information I am learning from these posts. I am a non-insulin-dependent diabetic. I read somewhere that diabetics in general should avoid deep diving (deeper than 100 ft.), cave or wreck diving, and dives longer than an hour. I was hoping, once I finally DO get in the water, to continue my training through instructor level, at least. But these advanced certs require JUST this type of dive, no? And certainly, if I someday train divers, I'll need to make these dives.

Maybe I should just forgo that goal altogether and just accept a moderate-recreational diving career...? I think I could be happy just being in the water, anytime, anywhere, for any length, as often as possible!

LSF
:coffee:

latestartfish, I don't know where you got your information. One of my friends is an active technical diver and technical instructor, and an insulin-dependent diabetic. Diabetes must be considered on a case-by-case basis; people who are poorly controlled or very brittle should keep their diving risks low. People who are Type II, well-controlled and stable just need to do a bit of planning and stay careful, but they should certainly be able to do some of the diving you describe.

Thanks, TSandM!

That's what I thought--odd information. I'm actually borderline, with a little work and weight loss I could get my A1C below 6. I'm getting closer to getting in, so I'm checking EVERYthing out! Got an appt. next week with my doc for the sign-off on my medical clearance. Got my prescription for the mask. Just gotta get a few items at the LDS and I can jump right into the water! :dance:

On another note, my previous doc refused to sign-off simply because I smoke... :( I tried to tell him that the longer I'm underwater, the less time I'll be smoking. hehe

LSF
:coffee:

Really good idea to figure out how to quit smoking altogether, especially with the diabetes. The two are synergistic in raising the risk of cardiovascular disease in the long term.

If you're borderline and/or on very mild meds (metformin, for example) you shouldn't have too much trouble figuring out how to regulate your meds and food intake to keep your sugars reasonable around a day of diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom