Diving with Diabetes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bridgediver once bubbled...
I'd like to add that you should make sure that whoever you're diving with is completely familiar with how you handle your diabetes as well.

A friend of mine is a diabetic and heres what he does. He uses an insulin pump, carries glucagon (most of us know how to use it), tests his sugar before and after every dive. He also has a small squeeze bladder of gator aid that has a tube that goes directly to his reg. He usually has maybe an ounce or 2 throughout the dive.

Tell us more folks on insulin pumps:

You use your pump _while_ diving?

If so, which model and how deep has s/he been?

I ask because no pumps I know are rated for any depth beyond just splashing.

http://www.scuda.com/

The above allows divers to drink underwater, bring a good amount, and sipped it nearly continuously during a dive.

Would be interested in any impressions of it.

Saturation once bubbled...

The above allows divers to drink underwater, bring a good amount, and sipped it nearly continuously during a dive.

Saturation,

That's where you stash your rum! :)

Ed

Saturation once bubbled...

Thats exactly the type my buddy was using, he seemed very happy with it.
As far as his insulin pump goes I must admit I didn't really have a look at it to know what type it is but he does a fair amount of deep wreck dives in the great lakes... usually within rec limits as far as I know (we were as deep as 120ft once)

blacknet once bubbled...

Saturation,

That's where you stash your rum! :)

Ed

It would certainly enhance the color of the reef and give new meaning to DWI: diving while intoxicated :wacko:

I've recommended this device to diabetics I've cleared for scuba, but have never heard on how it was used.

I agreee, $30 a bit pricey for sugar. Walgreens carries these in a 3 pack for $12 in their diabetic supply dept. You can go to Walgreens online and check out their product info.

The tubes are very watertight as they have a one time twist off top. I prefer this means of delivery because of its' measured dose.
Also I've taken above water to get an idea how fast and how much each tube raises my blood sugar. Hope this info helps.

bridgediver once bubbled...
I'd like to add that you should make sure that whoever you're diving with is completely familiar with how you handle your diabetes as well.

A friend of mine is a diabetic and heres what he does. He uses an insulin pump, carries glucagon (most of us know how to use it), tests his sugar before and after every dive. He also has a small squeeze bladder of gator aid that has a tube that goes directly to his reg. He usually has maybe an ounce or 2 throughout the dive.

I am very curious about these insulin pump as well. I would think that diving with insulin pump would be an invitation to get infection at the skin insertion site. That would have been my first reaction. Don't even think that they are waterproof or if they have underwater housing for the pump :)

Apart from that, if diabetes is undercontrol and you have all the proper measure to prevent and treat hypoglycemia then it is probably reasonable to dive. Of course, there are all kinds of other factors to consider, some medication such as beta blocker, taken for high blood pressure may mask symptoms of hypoglycemia, some people's body are so used to hypoglycemia that when their sugar starts to drop, they don't get the usual warning symptoms until it is too late. Some diabetes medication such as metformin is less likely to cause hypoglycemia. Other complication of diabetes such as coronary artery disease may be the reason that a diabetic should not dive. Basically, this will have to be considered on an individual basis with one's own physician who know the patient's history and risk best.

I know that there are water tight housings for insulin pumps. That way they can be used in pools, hot tubs, etc. But I'm pretty sure that NO insulin pump can with stand the pressure from diving. I'm pretty sure that no one makes a housing for use with scuba. I read on this board that one guy dove with his pump on under his dry suit and it broke apart at 20' depth. I wouldn't want to risk breaking my $5000 pump. Especially if I'm on vacation in a third world country.

But, one of the benefits of a pump is that I can take it off before I dive. Which means there is no insulin in my body to cause hypoglycemia. Unlike the injections which use a very unpredictable long lasting insulin. The only thing that can drop my blood sugars without insulin is rigorous exercise. So that's why I'm overly cautious about checking my blood sugars when I dive. I've had some pretty tiring surface swims.

ssra30 once bubbled...

I am very curious about these insulin pump as well. I would think that diving with insulin pump would be an invitation to get infection at the skin insertion site. That would have been my first reaction. Don't even think that they are waterproof or if they have underwater housing for the pump :)

We always dive dry so the infection and waterproofness (is that a real word?) is really a non issue for him. I will try to find out what kind of pump he uses and get back to you.

jhnsndn - I've seen him take it to depth plenty of times (see above) so the one he has must work.

For those who have asked for insulin pump info, let me offer some up. I am a type 1 diabetic and on an insulin pump (Minimed Paradigm) for about five years now. No pump will withstand a dive - snorkeling yes, diving no. The best water tight pump is good down to 10 feet for up to 24 hours... not that I plan on spending 24 solid hours in my pool any time soon.

The way that the insulin is delivered though (called an infusion set), allows for the user to detach from the pump itself for any needed period. Mine detaches right above skin, some detach a few inches up the tubing between to pump and infusion site at the skin.

I'm a newbie to this board and am just starting to research what problems I might run into as a diabetic diver. I must say, I am greatly relieved to have found so many insulin dependent diabetics in one spot! I especially like the "I always make sure that my blood sugar is at least ___ before a dive" comments.

Tina

Back
Top Bottom