Diving with Diabetes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitten Diver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
The PADI medical alert form says that if you are diabetic. You should not be allowed to dive. What if any information does anyone have on this topic.

Mitten Diver

The PADI medical alert form says that if you are diabetic. You should not be allowed to dive. What if any information does anyone have on this topic.

This is incorrect. The form states:

"Please answer the following questions on your past or present medical history with a YES or NO . If you are not sure, answer YES . If any of these items apply to you, we must request that you consult with a physician prior to participating in scuba diving. Your instructor will supply you with an RSTC Medical Statement and Guidelines for Recreational Scuba Diver’s Physical Examination to take to your physician...."

Diabetes is listed on the form under this section.

Basically, if a student answers "yes" to ANYTHING on the Medical Statement, they must get clearance from their physician to dive.

Many people with Type I or Type II diabetes are able to dive. As with many medical conditions, it is not necessarily a counter-indication to participating in the sport.

~SubMariner~

As long as you have clearance from your doctor then you can dive. My diabetologist is very supportive and has encouraged me every step of the way. You need to check your blood glucose frequently and be aware of hypos signs, my diabetes is always best controlled when I'm diving!

I am finding there is a small but growing community of people with diabetes that dive. For a while I thought I was the only one.

PM me if you want more in-depth information:)

You simply need written clearance from a physician.

In the meantime, you may find informative this general orietation to diving with diabetes from one of my past Rodale's "Ask RSD" columns:

"Are there restrictions to diving with diabetes?" W.A., Bozeman, MT.

Diabetes, along with asthma & seizure disorder, ranks among the most controversial medical conditions affecting divers. Diabetes was considered by many in the medical & dive community as a contraindication to scuba until opinion began to change in the early & mid-1990s. At present, the Undersea & Hyperbaric Medical Society and the YMCA have detailed protocols for approving diabetic divers, and British Sub-Aqua Club allows certification with clearance from a medical referee. DAN is currently conducting an extensive study of diabetic divers, and additional guidelines will very likely result. In addition, there is an outstanding dive program for diabetics age 17 and older, Camp DAVI (Diabetes Association of the Virgin Islands) located on St. John. It is operated by the University of the Virgin Islands and has diving diabetologists on staff, some of whom have the condition themselves.

As you know, the body uses the sugar glucose for fuel, and the hormone insulin is necessary for cells to metabolize it. In diabetes, the pancreas fails to secrete enough insulin, or the body's cells resist entry of insulin, and glucose builds to dangerous levels in the blood. The immediate result is cells are temporarily starved for energy, while over time damage to the eyes, kidneys, heart or peripheral nerves can occur. Signs and symptoms of diabetes can include intense hunger, thirst and tiredness, as well as weight loss, frequent urination, blurred vision, and even seizures and coma.

For the diabetic diver, the most worrisome immediate risk is blood glucose falling to a level where hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar, is precipitated. This can result from events such as too much insulin, alcohol or exercise, or too little or improper eating. An episode can cause weakness, tremor, sweatiness or chilling, irritability, alterations or loss of consciousness, and convulsions.

The diabetic must also be aware of the possibility of hyperglycemia occurring when insulin runs low enough that the body breaks down stored fat for energy. This process can eventuate in breathing difficulty, alterations or loss of consciousness & shock. If left untreated, both hypo & hyperglycemia can result in death.

While the criteria for clearance to dive differ among agencies, they generally include such things as a demonstrated understanding of diabetes, awareness of when a hypoglycemic episode is imminent, good control of the disease with no severe episodes within the past year, and no related abnormalities of the eyes, kidneys, heart or nerves which pose an additional risk. Some protocols include depth limitations to those above which nitrogen narcosis is likely to occur so as to avoid confusion of this phenomenon with a life-threatening hypoglycemic episode.

Clearly it is unwise to deny or minimize this condition to yourself, or hide it from your instructor or the ops with which you dive. If you have diabetes and want to dive, or are already diving without medical clearance, it is critical that you consult a physician to obtain an appropriate medical work up & permission to dive. Even after clearance to dive, it is prudent to carefully monitor blood glucose throughout the course of the dive trip, especially prior to a dive. Measurements at 1hr, 30min & 5-10min prior to a dive would not be excessive. Finally, bring on board whatever substances you use for controlling abnormal glucose levels, and make sure your dive buddy also carries & knows how to use them."

The YMCA diabetic protocol can be veiwed here---> http://www.ymcascuba.org/ymcascub/diabetic.html

DAN & BASC guideline can be viewed here----> http://www.scuba-doc.com/endmet.htm...etes_and_Diving

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I am a diabetic on shots twice a day. I found out after i got my card... I have looked and read all kinds of info.. And all i can come up with is this. They are trying to look out for our saftey underwater. but our sugar levels can crash just like on land. But in the water it is hard to feel the cold sweat. This is what i do i check before each dive and if it looks good then i eat me a half of snickers or two or three packs of low carb crackers like the sandwich one they come like six to a pack. then before i hit the water i check it again.i still keep it under two hundred it usally is 180 when i go in and 100 roughly when i get out. but i also have a water tight little container that i keep hard candy in so i can get something extra if i am encountering problems in the water current, wildlife, other snags we encounter in the water.. anyways no probs yet... Safe safe safe
and dive dive dive

8buck, I used to keep hard candy at hand as well. Then I found this Insta-Glucose gel, easy to carry in bc, easy to suck down at depth, and fast acting, provides 30 gr. glucose.
I've only had to use it once u/w. Was on a wreck in good vis. and have dove many times. First came confusion, as if narced, then the shakes, as if hyperthermic but h2o temp. was 85F.
Took out the little tube, sucked it down and waited a few min. until everything got normal, then finished the rest of dive without iincident. However, I now make sure my reading is at least 180 before hitting the water. Picked it up at local drugstore.

I'd like to add that you should make sure that whoever you're diving with is completely familiar with how you handle your diabetes as well.

A friend of mine is a diabetic and heres what he does. He uses an insulin pump, carries glucagon (most of us know how to use it), tests his sugar before and after every dive. He also has a small squeeze bladder of gator aid that has a tube that goes directly to his reg. He usually has maybe an ounce or 2 throughout the dive.

Yes
A diabetic can have circulation problems if they don't stay on top of things

scubabear once bubbled...
8buck, I used to keep hard candy at hand as well. Then I found this Insta-Glucose gel, easy to carry in bc, easy to suck down at depth, and fast acting, provides 30 gr. glucose.

Is the tube water tight? I found a company that makes glucose in a water tight tube, but it is $30. A little pricey for sugar.

I've also used an insulin pump and have never had any problems with low blood sugar on land or in the water. I make sure my blood sugars are approx. 200. I check them three times at 30 minute intervals before a dive. That gives me a view of where my blood sugars are going (up or down). I check them again after the dive and before any repetitive dives to make sure they aren't going down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom