Diving with Coronary Artery Stents?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Windknot

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with diving after having stents inserted into their coronary arteries?

I got a little suprise four weeks ago and am looking for some encouraging news.

Any advice - either direction before I go back to the cardiologist would be greatly appreciated.

No heart attack - just failed stress test and some blockages fixed with stents.

WINDKNOT

p

Before consideration of return to scuba following stent insertion for coronary artery blockage & failed stress tests, a diver would need to be fully recovered from the placement procedure, and have normal blood flow with a stress test at high METs (e.g., Stage 4 Bruce protocol) showing no electrocardiographic abnormalities, shortness of breath or chest pain. S/he would also be advised to wait a sufficient period to assess for the likelihood of restenosis.

After these have been achieved, the diver and his or her doctor can sit down and address the issue of fitness to dive.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such. Questions about diving and coronary artery disease are best discussed with a dive medicine savvy physician.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Yeah, what he said. Or you could just show everyone your big red "S" on your chest - that's what I did.

I did have a heart attack and had 2 stints put in in late Jan. I'm better, feel great and passed my stress test(s). The doc not only signed me off to dive, but signed off on my DM medical.

I had to-and wanted to- do some very easy, very shallow dives the 1st time back out, but everything was great, and I'm back at it.

Of course, results may vary, but I'd be looking forward to diving again if I were you.

Good luck.

I hope that your doctor did not stint on the stents.

Seriously, though, good that you're back to scuba.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

DocV and NorCalDiver,

Thanks for the info.....Meet with the Cardiologist on July 10th. Im bringing a copy of DAN's guide which sounds awfully similar to DocV's non-Doctor/Pt. Relationship information.

Hopefully Soon.......

Windknot

All of the suggestions above are excellent. Like DocVikingo said, you should pass a repeated stress test and definitely talk to your doctor about risk of restenosis (stent clogging off).
If you have not already done so, several things you can do to reduce the risk of restenosis. Stop smoking if you do, get your cholesterol under control, if you also have high blood pressure, get it under control as well, same go for diabetes. Stents are getting better and better but they are not yet perfect. The last thing you want to do is to have it clogged while diving and get a heart attack. Again, your cardiologist should do a risk assessment and reduction as part of a routine for patient with stents anyway.
My friend is undergoing similar procedure next week but his blood vessels are not in a good shape so even after stent placement, he still may not dive. We are still talking and discussing plan about his likelihood of going back to diving but will have to wait and see how things go.

Good luck with your coronary!

Prior to my procedure I was up to about 240#, had mild hypertension that was easily controlled with a central acting anti-hypertensive med and so-so cholesterol.

I was eating the way the dietician reccommended (low fat/cholesterol) and moderately exercising. The weight was not coming off and the trig's and cholesterol were not changing either.

In the Versed induced hours following my procedure my Cardiologist said I fit into a category (recently named) as SYNDROME X . Family History of heart disease, apple or pear shaped body, hypertension and he also told me that I was on a path to end up a diabetic. He then went on to say that besides REALLY exercising my main goal was to increase my protien ingestion and radically decrease my carbohydrate ingestion - said something about "Syndrome X'ers" not metabolizing carbs efficiently. I listened to him and recorded it into my memory.

My follow up visit with my internist a week later and the "Syndrome X" thing came up again, along with the higer lean protien and low carb eating habits. So I figured that if both were saying the same thing, maybe it was something I should look into.

So far in the last three weeks, I have dropped 26 pounds, three and a half inches off my neck, three inches off my chest and waist - I am now doing cardiovascular workouts 4 times a week for 40 minutes (OK'd by Dr.) Had cholesterol and trig's were checked last thursday trigs have been more than halved and bad cholesterol is down and good cholesterol is way up.

Restenosis is still on my mind, but they say that after the first 6 months without problems I should be in the clear.

Good luck to your friend - encourage him to have a survivor's attitude - it goes a long way.

Windknot

Windknot, it sounds like you are getting everything undercontrol. Congratulation! I will definitely mentioned this to my friend and hopefully will motivate him to work on his problem a bit more.
26 lbs in 3 weeks? That's quite a bit of weight to lose in a short period of time.

I just completed my 6+ Month Post-procedure stress test following the placement of coronary artery stents.

Per my cardiologist......"You have the heart of an 18 year old......dont screw it up again!!!"

I KICKED SOME STRESS TEST TREADMILL ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Can I say that?)

Cardiologist is going to make me a letter to have laminated to take along on any diving trips that I'll sure to be taking now that I have been cleared back to "FULL" diving, without restrictions.

Thanks again for all of the published (and personal messages) of support.

The first thing I said to my doctor when I regained complete consciousness after my angioplasty/stenting was "Can I still dive?" his answer was a guarded yes, but with several caveats.

A few weeks later I saw the cardiologist and told him I was going to Disney World with the family and he asked me if I was going to dive the Epcot "living seas" exhibit. I hadn't planned on it due to the possiblity of restenosis still being high, but he encouraged me to give it a whirl....his comment was that if I could lug a backpack across central florida carrying 8 liters of water, cameras, Mickey Ponchos and Fair Wife's purse at the end of July, doing a 40 minute dive in 27 feet of water would be a breeze.

I took him up on it and had a BLAST. I'll be writing a trip report somewhere, I'd like to share the feelings I had diving after a life altering event like that AND my Wife and Daughter were there to see it, photograph it and share it with me.

PEACE to all

WK

Windknot once bubbled...

I KICKED SOME STRESS TEST TREADMILL A**!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Can I say that?)

Well, not really, but we recognize that the feeling of joy is genuine!

Welcome back to the WONDERFUL world of diving! That was a great way to return! Here's hoping you'll have many, many more years of terrific diving!:D

BJD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom