Diving with clogged ear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andrew you asked and we answered. If you don't like our replies please feel free to report back upon experimenting with your eustacean tubes and inner/middle ear tolerances.

Not to put too strong a point on it but your friend is nuts. And you are smart enough to realize the idea is about half crazy. :)
Yep. There is a significant numbers of things you can do to help, and I use many of them regularly, but pressure is not one of them. OTC sinus meds, nasal irrigation, heat pack, maybe antibiotics and/or steroid drops - and time, maybe one week.

My advice is to give the ear sometime to resolve itself but if doesn't improve or worsens you'll need some antibiotic. Mucinex is for cough. Why not try a Sudafed 12 hour, or something more along that line? Drink a lot of fluids.
He said MucinexD, which does include pseudoephedrine. Some Sudafed products do not, but the one you mentioned does. Tennessee may be one of those states where he has to get a prescription to get more, so using what he has should suffice. I use Wal-Act from Walgreens or another generic form of Actifed from my grocery's pharmacy - better prices, but pseudoephedrine is the part that works.

Thanks for all the replies. What about even going shallow? Like 5 or 6 feet. I mean if I start feeling pain I'll just stop diving, so I don't see how much could go wrong?
No, nope, nyet, don't.

Ah, yes, I see. Thought I'd read mucinexDM. Other than that I'll stay with my position. Andrew glad your ear gave you a little relief before it plugged again. You aren't doing any vigorous nose blowing are you?

Everyone else has covered your basic question regarding the pool, as in don't do it. So I'll just add to TSandM's answer regarding the theoretical chance of improvement vs injury, that it could also just make it worse or prolong the problem. And I think this is the most likely senario.

It sounds like you have serous otitis media. This means there is fluid without an infection. Not too uncommon after a cold or allergies and usually clears in a few days to a few weeks on its own. Occasionally it may take longer. Antibiotics rarely help unless it develops into an infection. Time is the greatest healer but a decongestant may help as well as avoiding irritants such as allergies and cigarette smoke.

If there is no pain or discomfort, just that muffled feeling, give it a week or so. Then if its not clearing, go see your provider. If pain develops, go sooner.

Good luck and I understand your desperation to get it cleared to dive (been there myself),

Lisa

What could happen you can push infection into the tube and that would make it more fun to heal. My wife once had to fly just after barrly recovering from cold and she had problems clearing the ears. On landing apparently the infection was pushed in and even after 10 days on antibiotics she was clearing the condition for another month.

Another gottcha is a reverse block. Its a mouse trap. Or a time bomb. In that condition once you are on the bottom of the pool you set it off and you cannot just stand up without damaging your eardrum. So you have as much time as your gas lasts to hope that it clears. Once you are out of gas you have to surface playing russian roulette. If you are lucky you get it cleared if you are not - your eardrum is busted.

... Good luck experimenting.

Back
Top Bottom