Diving with alligators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sure Jim Fowler would be all over this alligator diving stuff

I saw one once in SC. Surfaced, did a 360* to see what was around while I was waiting on the boat, and there was an alligator floating by 40’ or so away. The boat was 150’+ away in the opposite direction (had to turn around and take my eyes off my new buddy to see where the boat was). :popcorn:That was close enough for me and I can’t say that I’m in a rush to repeat the experience.

...In the winter time you can see hundreds of them hanging at the Turkey Point nuke plant cooling canals, that's if you can get on the property!

Sounds like the origin story of a comic book character lol :wink:

Sounds like the origin story of a comic book character lol :wink:

Crocodile Doodie? (Dundee) :p

On topic now, growing up in SE TX ever so often you hear of people falling in the bayou drunk or even swimming and not getting out. Bodies recovered and even parts recovered from killed gators.......
Seemed to happen more often than I hear of surfers getting shark bites.

Not an intentional encounter lol. I was with a friend on his refresh dive at Casa Cenote in Tulum. The instructor surprised us with the resident croc... I kinda wondered why he had us surface halfway through the dive lol.

Actually can anyone confirm if this is a gator or croc? Sign says croc but some references say it’s a gator.

Like the other poster said, this is mostly a crocodile (American crocodile). Only two species of alligators exist - Chinese and American. The American alligator is only found naturally in the SE US, primarily Florida but also large populations in Louisiana, Georgia. Smaller populations are found as far north as Arkansas and the Carolinas. The Chinese alligator is found, well, in China. (Edited for typo)

It should be an alligator.
Are there even Krokodiles In amerika?

Yes. The northern edge of the American crocodile's natural habitat is coastal south Florida, and few of them at that as their nesting habitat is now mostly condos and hotels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom