Diving with all your accessories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juardis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Wife and I are getting our night dive specialty which requires 2 torches. We're diving in West Palm Beach and we're required to have an SMB. We might be diving a wreck, so we have gloves. We're definitely diving the Blue Heron Bridge and it's pretty much understood you need a dive tool. So how do you dive with all this stuff?

Do you only gear up with what is necessary for that dive? I understand you won't bring your big torch on a daylight dive, but the backup flashlight might be useful. My wife's BC can't hold all of that. There is no place to attach her dive tool so she has to keep it in one of her pockets...along with her gloves. In her other pocket is her backup flashlight. Her SMB is clipped onto one of her D-rings. I can easily see her losing her tool or gloves if/when she goes to retrieve either of them.

As for me, I've made my hidden pocket unhidden and keep my gloves/backup flashlight in it. My BC has grommet attachments for my tool, so I'm taking advantage of that. It just seems there has to be a more streamlined way to carry all this stuff.

What is a dive tool?

Gloves, you typically know before the dive if you need them, and either have them on your hands or back in the car or boat.

Very good to have a backup flashlight, I carry a primary light on almost every dive but it's the kind you put on the back of your hand so it's not in the way. Search for "goodman handle" to read more about that. There are models designed for generic flashlights.

You'll need a dive flag at BHB and on many drift dives in palm beach. I use a reel for that and it is usually carried in one hand.

I don't have pockets, so I only take what I need.

I think there is one huge mis-understanding about big/bright light and day time. IMO, bright light is for day time use. The brighter the day light, the brighter the light needs to be to effectively get people's attention or to peek under shadow. For night dive, a small hand held light is usually sufficient. Too much light can actually be bad.

Wife and I are getting our night dive specialty which requires 2 torches. We're diving in West Palm Beach and we're required to have an SMB. We might be diving a wreck, so we have gloves. We're definitely diving the Blue Heron Bridge and it's pretty much understood you need a dive tool. So how do you dive with all this stuff?

What is a dive tool? That is such a vague description it can mean almost anything

I understand you won't bring your big torch on a daylight dive, but the backup flashlight might be useful.

Why not? might be useful on a deep dive to see stuff

she has to keep it in one of her pockets...along with her gloves.

If you wear the gloves you won't loose them

You don't need gloves specifically to dive a wreck since you shouldn't be touching it anyway but if you decide you need them then just wear them.

I carry two lights on every dive since I use a light for signalling (even in daylight). I clip them to my chest d-rings and secure them to the shoulder webbing on with rubber bands (I dive a BP/wing).

If you are diving without towing a dive flag then you MUST have an SMB to shoot before you surface (even if you don't plan to surface before shore you might have to).

Like everyone else I have no idea what a dive tool is (although I have dived with guys who fit that description).

You don't need gloves specifically to dive a wreck since you shouldn't be touching it anyway but if you decide you need them then just wear them.
Might want to reconsider gloves on any wreck that has permanent buoys. Those lines can get pretty nasty.

Wow now I'm curious of this dive tool you speak of.

I always wear gloves so that if I did have to grab something I will not slice up my hands.

I dont bring lights during the day, but always kick myself when diving and say "Damn, wish I had brought my light"

Might want to reconsider gloves on any wreck that has permanent buoys. Those lines can get pretty nasty.

Just like not touching the wreck, there's no good reason to touch the line. If you're in a current use a John line to hook in. Around here tie ups are pretty littered with fish hooks and all sorts of other nasty stuff you don't want to get cut on (while wearing gloves or otherwise).

gloves, smloves, we STILL need to know what a dive tool is! Is it someone who dives and is a real jerk?

my guess is that the "dive tool" refers to a cutting device -- knife, line cutter, EMT shears.

I think it would be very helpful to post pictures of you in your gear. I'm sure you will get a lot of helpful responses on where best to carry accessories.

One important thing with backup lights (IMHO) is that even in a pocket, they should be attached and you should be able to turn them on before detaching them, in case you drop it while trying to get it out.

Back
Top Bottom