Diving with all your accessories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my practice you wear gloves for the dive if you will have them hence they are on your hands or dry in your gear bag, never in a pocket.

By day carry your back-up light, clipped to a shoulder D ring and accessible for investigation and signaling

Dive tool? Is this like a reef hook for use in current? Add a bolt snap and clip it off I guess? Snips, Z-cutter?, same answer.

At night move the back-up light to a hip and clip the primary up handy. Unclip and use the lanyard when in use.

More than one item may live on a D ring.

Last edited:
Just like not touching the wreck, there's no good reason to touch the line. If you're in a current use a John line to hook in. Around here tie ups are pretty littered with fish hooks and all sorts of other nasty stuff you don't want to get cut on (while wearing gloves or otherwise).

Whew, took care of where to put the gloves.......now, where to put that Jon line........lol.

Gloves go on my hand (in fact I have a compass mounted on the wrist of my left glove. Lights go on my shoulder straps, cave style and a small backup light goes in a large pouch that mounts on the bottom of my BP and that has all the other stuff I need like flares, dye, mirror, extra paramedic shears, sausage, etc.

First off, you take what you reasonably think you might need for a dive. I don't take two backup lights on a day dive in the Sound, for example.

Then, to store things, you want them neatly tucked away, so they don't catch on stuff and so you don't lose them, but also where they are readily accessible. BC pockets are often hard to get into during a dive, but pockets on your exposure protection are pretty easy to access. If you don't want to glue pockets on your wetsuit, things like X-shorts (or the XS scuba analog of them) are very useful.

Doing a boat dive last week in Cuba, I had a squeeze lock knife and line cutter which are both always mounted on my BCD, a clipped off light, and a clipped off spool / SMB.

Apparently this made me a Christmas tree diver (comment by one of the DM's) :idk:

Of course, the majority of the other divers on the boat, other than my son and I and a couple of lads from Montreal, were all using bare bones rental gear, most not even wearing either a computer or timer. Compared to them perhaps we did look over accessorized.

Carry what you think you need. Clipped off or in a pocket are both ok so long as you can get it when you need it and it is not in the way when you don't. I always wear my gloves.

didn't read all the responses. You need gloves to wreck dive. The wrecks are covered with fire coral and stinging hydroids and often you must hold onto the wreck to dive in the strong local currents. So gloves are on her hands not in her pockets.

I assume a dive tool is a spike or something to stick in the sand. I don't use one at the BHB or anywhere. If she needs it, figure a way to clip it off to the outside of her BC. A small light should be clipped off to the outside of the BC. The smb should be clipped off to the outside of the BC, in my opinion.

I carry 3 SMb's normally with two in front on D rings and one on a loop near my butt (you don't need more than one).

I keep a marine radio and a back up knife in my pocket. All stuff i do not expect to use. I do not want to be going in my pockets for something I plan on using.

Doing a boat dive last week in Cuba, I had a squeeze lock knife and line cutter which are both always mounted on my BCD, a clipped off light, and a clipped off spool / SMB.

Apparently this made me a Christmas tree diver (comment by one of the DM's) :idk:

Of course, the majority of the other divers on the boat, other than my son and I and a couple of lads from Montreal, were all using bare bones rental gear, most not even wearing either a computer or timer. Compared to them perhaps we did look over accessorized.

Carry what you think you need. Clipped off or in a pocket are both ok so long as you can get it when you need it and it is not in the way when you don't. I always wear my gloves.
well that was kinda my question. If I have all these accessories clipped to my BC, it would seem I would run the risk of getting it snagged on something.

As for gloves, I don't wear them. Never have, but then again, we're sorta still new at all this and gloves have been prohibited where we have dived. It was suggested for WPB that we buy some and put them in our pocket in case we dove a wreck and needed to hold on because of the current. I guess the obvious never dawned on me.

Carrying stuff in pockets seems risky to me as well as you could easily drop it, which again, is why I asked the question. In fact, if I think I'll need, then I want it accessible immediately. But then I go back to the Christmas tree thing. Just wondering what you more experienced divers do. Thanks for the replies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom