Diving with all your accessories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You shouldn't be just randomly clipping things to your BC. There are optimal locations for each type of item. It is also very helpful if you use a bungie to keep things like lights from "dangling".

Fist, you don't need a knife mounted on a shoulder strap or some other silliness. Get an EMT shears in a nylon holder mounted on your waist strap. Backup light should have a bolt snap and be clipped to a shoulder D-ring (with bungie to keep it snug against the shoulder strap). An SMB should be clipped to your right hip D-ring and your SPG clipped to the left hip.

This hardly would be considered a "christmas tree" setup by anyone other than a complete scuba "tool".

Carrying stuff in pockets seems risky to me as well as you could easily drop it, which again, is why I asked the question.... Just wondering what you more experienced divers do.

1) Put a length of bungee loop into each BCD pocket.
2) Put a bolt-snap on each item.

0310stowage1.jpg

You can withdraw the entire loop from your pocket, with security against losing stuff, unclip the item you need and return the loop/other items back to the pocket. Nothing can be lost from the pocket, because it is all securely clipped on.

BCD pockets tend to be very badly designed for holding gear. A major fail in design, for most manufacturers. As a consequence, many experienced divers resort to putting additional pockets onto the thighs of their exposure protection. Those pockets are much better located for access and streamlining.

pocketall.jpg

left_pocket_contents_r.jpeg

Also, have a look at this article, which provides some options: A place for everything - Divernet

One important thing with backup lights (IMHO) is that even in a pocket, they should be attached and you should be able to turn them on before detaching them, in case you drop it while trying to get it out.

Amen to that. I had a brand new (first dive) 1000 lumen light that I was taking off my wrist to hand to the boat. Tether (original and flimsy) broke and I watched my brand new light plummet to the bottom - it was turned off. Make a story short; depth was about 25' and after descending immediately I landed in a large pile of broken up kelp. I stayed in the same place and pawed gently through the strands of loose kelp for what seemed like forever (probably about 10 minutes). As I was about to give up I found the light. It would have be obvious if the light was on. Lesson learned

This hardly would be considered a "christmas tree" setup by anyone other than a complete scuba "tool".

No kidding.

We did 8 more dives with that shop and each dive I carried what *I* thought I needed, not what somebody else thought. Gear was properly stowed with no dangles.

One important thing with backup lights (IMHO) is that even in a pocket, they should be attached and you should be able to turn them on before detaching them, in case you drop it while trying to get it out.
\
I second that. I was coming in on a surf exit and stuffed my big light in the BCD pocket and after fighting through the surf and climbing over the rocks, I saw my light drifting away. ended up rescuing it and spending an extra 5 minutes getting hammered to regain the distance lost to retrieve the light.

I've been called a tool, and I dive...You aren't talking about a dive buddy are you?

While gloves on reefs are sometime considered bad form, you will need gloves on the wrecks in South Florida, especially those with permanent buoys and lines which will be encrusted with fire coral and hooks and other stuff. The current is significant and you will be TOLD by the crew to use the tag lines and anchor/buoys to assist getting to the wreck, especially when the current on the surface is enough that it cannot be penetrated or at depth getting blown off.

Something like the Intova 200 lumen lights are enough for daylight crevices or night diving as a main light. No need to try and light the entire wreck up.

I do not understand what "tool" you might be getting, a multi-tool? or a knife or line cutter? Why do you need a "tool" at BHB? I have dove there a couple of times and not noted a lot of line, though I suppose there is some. A line cutter is always useful, of course, I do carry a knife and make no apology.

Most boats in SFla have their own flags/floats for drift diving and often provide numbered sausages with the boat name on it. But a spool and sausage are always a good thing to have.

N

Last edited:
As other have said, tailor your gear to whatever/wherever you're diving. A few things go with me every dive: Knife, SMB/reel, whistle, mirror, backup knife, small light. Whistle, mirror & backup knife bungee'd similar to Devon.

I do wear gloves on most dives here in S Fla.

I dive sidemount so I have room for all those things in a backpack on my back. They are all secured with their own 10' bungee.............lol.

I like tools, and I am very safety conscious. I have lots of accessories. I've never dove with all of them at once though. Different dives require different tools. This is what I have, what dives I bring it for, and where I put it. I dive a Zeagle Ranger LTD, so I have more options than most, but maybe something here would work for you?

I always have...
Gloves: Always on my hands, Protects my hands from stings/abrasion and keeps them warm.
Whistle: Left shoulder d-ring
Cutting device: In a velcro holster zip tied onto the right side of my cummerbund. Contains EMT shears and 3" cut down/rounded tip steak knife.
Mesh Utility/Catch bag: Built into my BC's cummerbund, it folds out.

I usually/sometimes/rarely have depending on the dive....
Backup Light: Left side BC pocket, unless I'm diving the springs where no lights are allowed.
Primary Light: Only gets brought on dives that I plan on using it, then its usually in my right hand, and attached to a retractor.
SMB/Finger Spool/Rescue Mirror: I bring this anytime I am in the ocean, It's all contained in a cylindrical pouch that tucks in behind my right side pocket and zips onto my BC wing. (The left side zipper pouch is the future home of a Nautilus Lifeline & ResQLink+)
Snorkel: Very rarely brought unless I anticipate a long surface swim and have the desire to conserve gas. It folds and goes into the right side BC pocket.
Camera: I usually bring my GoPro, it's on a head strap and sits right on top of my mask.
Diveflag & Line holder: I bring for shore and drift dives, I attach it too a tickle stick and carry the end of the tickle stick in my hand.
Lobster or Spearfishing gear: Stays on the boat unless I'm doing that particular activity, If so I carry some of it and clip off the rest on d-rings.

So in your wife's case, this is what I'd do.
Backup light - pocket
SMB - pocket or clipped to d-ring
Gloves - wear them all the time
Dive tool - you need to come up with a solution to mount this to the BC. (zip ties, add grommets, etc) It would be way to difficult to get to in an emergency if it's in a pocket. Which BC and knife is it? Maybe someone here will have an idea for mounting.

The gloves I have are cut resistant "Mechanix" type gloves. They are thin and very rugged and if need be I can work even my tiny camera buttons with them on. Wrecks yes, reefs no.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom