Diving with a period

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a product called Instead. It is a disposable version of the DivaCup. It works great no matter if you are having a light day, or a not so light day and can be worn twice as long as a tampon. I would advise using it a few times before using it diving just to get the placement right, it can be a little tricky. Also, someone asked about the Nuvaring. I have been using it for 7 years and have had no issues with it diving (or not diving for that matter).

The relationship between menses and DCS is complex, but in part, related to the presence of any underlying anemia, edema, hydration state etc. What this means is that gas dynamics are altered : both uptake and offloading. Uptake because in the presence of any anemia the cardiovascular system is under greater stress to achieve the same amount of work, and offloading, because there are changes in the tissues. How much is unclear. Add to this the potential presence of oral contraceptives,where there is the additional change in the tendency of the blood to clot, and both gas and blood vessel dynamics are changed.
As noted, there has been a "tendency" for women who are menstruating to have a slightly increased risk, but this has never been verified, and is in the realm of physiologic reasonability.
As regards, the risk of toxic shock, there is no "free flowing connection" between the tampon and the exterior, and the normal precautions should be taken.
Overall, I would suggest that a woman diver be somewhat more conservative during this time. After all, DCS risk is based on mathematical models of our interpretation and understanding of normal physiological behaviour. Each of us function as physiologically unique to some extent. This has been demonstrated by the development of DCS by a diver who has repeated the same exact profile. So clearly there are unknown factors at play which we can hope to pre empt and act accordingly.
I'm not sure if that helps, but hope so.
Safe diving.

Dive dry, then there's no need for a tampon.

Dive dry, then there's no need for a tampon.

Not unless you ENJOY using a pad! Even diving dry my preference was to use a tampon. It's so much less complicated than a pad.

I'd be interested to know if anyone here actually dives using a Mooncup (or Diva Cup, Keeper, etc). I use one on land, but am reluctant to use one whilst diving. I suppose, and I hope this doesn't sound stupid, I'd be a little concerned that it might create an air pocket whilst diving, since it's basically an open rubber cap, as opposed to a tampon which creates a "seal".

Any thoughts?

Tampon's are the best option for me. I've been diving now for over two years, and I have never had a problem. TSS occurs when the same tampon is inserted for 12 hours and longer. Regularly changing the tampon every 4 to 6 hours will prevent TSS.

I always wear a tampon and just change it when I get out of the water. Since I mostly boat dive, there's usually a bathroom right there and ready.

On a side note -- does anyone else notice bouyancy differences during their period? I had my period on the last dive trip I went on and I couldn't manage to get my weighting right. 3 weights was OK for some dives, then not enough, sometimes 4 weights was too much -- sometimes perfect. It was a wicked PITA. I am wondering if fluid retention has anything to do with it... or maybe it's just me?

I use the Diva cup. But I haven't been diving with it yet. I swim laps with it all the time and never have had a problem. Haven't been past 14 feet with it yet, but it's got several small holes around the rim to release pressure. I will try it this summer most likely as I never use any disposable supplies.

Back
Top Bottom