Diving with a period

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alykitcat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was just wondering what is the best...device...to use when your on the rag inthe water... a pad would just fall apart, id be worried about TSS wearing a tampon in the water...there is also the new femanine cup but does it still do its job in the water? Let me know what you think....

I wear tampons and change them after a dive if I suspect they have wicked some water to the body of the tampon via the string. (They feel "heavy" when they do this)

I change the tampon after the last dive of the day if I don't notice any wicking.
Ber :lilbunny:

I use a tampon and change it as soon as possible after the last dive. Like Ber Rabbit, I also have noticed wicked wicking.

I was under the impression that TSS was more likely to develop if you left the tampon in place for hours and hours (longer than overnight) & didn't wash your hands when you put it in.

Has anyone tried the mooncup from the UK? I am concerned about leaking under pressure or after release of pressure.

I've never had a problem with just a regular tampon (O.B.). I don't think TSS is an issue unless you don't change them regularly. Maybe TS&M or someone medical can weigh in on this though.

I just dove last weekend with a tampon no issues and have done it in the past, I just remove when I get home. Like mentioned above, I thought the problem was only related to leaving them in for long periods of time.

Toxic shock syndrome is related with leaving the tampon in for too long (ex. over 8 hours) and also using too high an absorbency for the flow. For example, using super absorbency tampons when the flow is light can contribute to TSS.

Keeping tampon use shorter and using the correct absorbency for that day of your period will help to avoid TSS.

According to DAN research, menstruating women are at a higher risk of DCI.

From the DAN Diving Medicine Articles at DAN Divers Alert Network : DAN Explores Fitness and Diving Issues for Women This is a great article about many issues facing women divers. I have excerpted a small section pertinent to this thread:

DAN:
Are women at greater risk of experiencing decompression illness (DCI) while menstruating? Theoretically, it is possible that, because of fluid retention and tissue swelling, women are less able to get rid of dissolved nitrogen. This is, however, not definitively proven.

One recent retrospective review of women divers (956 divers) with DCI found 38 percent were menstruating at the time of their injury. Additionally, 85 percent of those taking oral contraceptives were menstruating at the time of the accident. This suggests, but does not prove, that women taking oral contraceptives are at increased risk of decompression illness during menstruation. Therefore, it may be advisable for menstruating women to dive more conservatively, particularly if they are taking oral contraceptives. This could involve making fewer dives, shorter and shallower dives and making longer safety stops. Four other studies have provided evidence that women are at higher risk of DCI, and in one study of altitude bends, menses also appeared to be a risk factor for bends. (bold added)

Are women at an increased risk of shark attacks during menstruation? There are few reported shark attacks on women, and there are no data to support the belief that menstruating females are at an increased risk for shark attacks. The average blood lost during menstruation is small and occurs over several days. Also, it is known that many shark species are not attracted to the blood and other debris found in menstrual flow.

In general, diving while menstruating does not seem to be a problem as long as normal, vigorous exercise does not increase the menstrual symptoms. As long as the menstrual cycle poses no other symptoms or discomforts that affect her health, there is no reason that a menstruating female should not dive. However, based upon available data, it may be prudent for women taking oral contraceptives, particularly if they are menstruating, to reduce their dive exposure (depth, bottom time or number of dives per day).

What was the hydration level of the women I wonder. I believe I was told many moons ago to be particularly careful about staying hydrated when diving and menstruating. I don't know how valid the advice was but I heed it since it's not harmful.
Ber :lilbunny:

Dove with tampons for many years. No problems what so ever. Not even any wicking. Just be sure to change it ASAP after diving. Couldn't imagine life without those things!

Back
Top Bottom