Diving with a period

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I work 6 days a week in diving and have never felt the need to take days off during the period - tampons work just fine, as long as you make sure to remember to change it when you can.

I'm a Diva user and I've had absolutely no problem with deeper dives. If you are using it correctly, it has a good seal and the vents allow for pressure changes although I've never actually noticed the changes.

Just like swimming...use a tampon, change it right after. I dive dry only here, and I use both pads & tampons at the same time. Sometimes I don't can be bothered to climb out of my ds between dives. So I may go from 8:30 until 1 before I can get to the bathroom. Just had my first one period after baby#2 10 months ago, I forgot how much it sucks! (only had 2 af's between kids:wink:

Thanks to everyone who's used a cup for diving & written about it here!
I love mine (LadyCup & Lunette brands) for on land periods - but had been wondering about how they would go for diving.

My concern is about leakage, given they effectively create an air pocket:
Descent -> air shrinkage -> compensatory tissue swelling & potentially more blood drawn into cup
Ascent -> air re-expands -> blood in cup has nowhere to go but to spill...
Seems that it could be messy for the same reason as people sometimes get a mask full of blood from the sinuses on ascent - it's got nowhere else to go.

Any thoughts?
Those who use cups don't seem to have had any problems...

My wife said her hysterectomy did the trick........:)....... seriously.......

My wife said her hysterectomy did the trick........:)....... seriously.......

Sure but some of us wanna keep all our body parts. Dh got a snippy.

I'll go you one better: MENOPAUSE. :wink:

Understanding the physics and biology behind your question I wondered the same thing about descent before I started diving with my cup. After I thought about it, and dove with it, I decided that while those things were certainly in play, the time span involved minimized any effect that might be noticeable. As for your ascent question, since there isn't a noticeable change on descent, there isn't a noticeable increase in the volume since the start of the dive so there shouldn't be enough expansion that the vents on the cup can't handle. I use a Diva, and it has small vents near the rim to allow for pressure changes on insertion and removal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom