Diving with a pacemaker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbrown287

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a friend that is considering becoming OW certified but is reluctant due to a pacemaker that she has. I would think she would have to be cleared by a dr. Does anyone have experience with this situation or have input on it? All input is welcome....Good...Bad....or indifferent.

If you do a search on ScubaBoard, you should find a few threads on this topic.

Divers Alert Network has published a Q&A about this.

Yes, it might be possible for your friend with the pacemaker to be cleared by her cardiologist for diving. Several conditions must be met, however.

It is quite possible but see my post on the thread above. In short the hardest part for her will be finding a doctor who is willing to do the research on the facts as opposed to taking the easy= no you can't- way out.

A matter for her cardiologist, who also needs to check the mfg. specs for her unit. They vary. I've been diving with one now for 12 years, and I'm 64. Have never been any complications for me.

I'm a cardiologist and a dive instructor. Most patients with pacemakers can dive recreationally as most pacemakers are rated to those depths. Her cardiologist can check with her pacemaker company on her particular model. The other concern is whether she is "pacemaker-dependent" versus being used for back-up only. Some cardiologists would not allow patients who are pacemaker dependent to dive. Just my 2 cents.

Subjects wanted for a research study
Investigation of diving experience of divers with implanted cardiac devices

Divers Alert Network (DAN) is conducting a research study about divers with an implanted pacemaker or defibrillator who are choosing to dive with or without medical clearance. The study consists of an on-line survey which takes about 10 minutes to complete and possible follow-up interview if additional clarifications are needed.
If this pertains to you, please contact DAN Research (919-684-2948 or research@dan.org).Participants will not be compensated for participation.

IRB# 017-13 Expiry date: 6/05/2014

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom