Diving watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Plus, any watch that is sized properly for regular use will be difficult to put on properly over a thick wetsuit or a drysuit.
not really....many dive watches come with a "diver extension" which expands the bracelet to fit over a wetsuit......or you can just use a Nato or NDC strap

i keep an extralong nato strap in my dive bag to fit over a drysuit, and it takes literally 5 seconds to swap out bands.

not really....many dive watches come with a "diver extension" which expands the bracelet to fit over a wetsuit......or you can just use a Nato or NDC strap

i keep an extralong nato strap in my dive bag to fit over a drysuit, and it takes literally 5 seconds to swap out bands.
Literally? Can't wait to see the video.

I also went this route, not only am I a gadget guy, but it's an amazing smart watch + dive computer all rolled into one, extremely useful.

If I had the spare change laying around and wanted to be flashy I'd look at a rolex to wear at parties or something but I'd never dive with it as it doesn't fit what I want in a dive computer/watch.

I also went this route, not only am I a gadget guy, but it's an amazing smart watch + dive computer all rolled into one, extremely useful.

If I had the spare change laying around and wanted to be flashy I'd look at a rolex to wear at parties or something but I'd never dive with it as it doesn't fit what I want in a dive computer/watch.

I often wonder if my apple watch or some equivalent watch could evolve to serve both as a day to day watch and a dive computer (or even just a plain resettable bottom timer/depth gauge which is all I need anyway). The thing is, apple watches, and I assume this is true for other smart watches, are comparably less robust. If you were to package an apple watch such that it would survive the abuse of diving, the apple watch would wind up getting uglified. Plus, no matter what you do, an apple watch will always be harder to see and interact with than a proper dive computer like a shearwater perrigrine. The large, easy to read display might not be a big thing for newer divers when you are young but for most of us, our eyesight declines as we age.

I often wonder if my apple watch or some equivalent watch could evolve to serve both as a day to day watch and a dive computer (or even just a plain resettable bottom timer/depth gauge which is all I need anyway).

Not a question of "if", its completely possible. The real question is would enough people (Divers) buy them to make it profitable. Garmin Descent, with email, phone and texts?

I often wonder if my apple watch or some equivalent watch could evolve to serve both as a day to day watch and a dive computer (or even just a plain resettable bottom timer/depth gauge which is all I need anyway). The thing is, apple watches, and I assume this is true for other smart watches, are comparably less robust.
Currently not the Apple watch, but there are others. The Garmin line is probably closest to a dive computer that can also be worn as a smartwatch/activity watch. Atmos Mission One was an attempt as well that combined a dive computer with a Smartwatch. Looks like Mission2 will also add more activities, so be closer to the Garmin line.

The thing is, to your point, most of these are very large. I think only the Garmin G1 and MK2s are really in the size range of smartwatches/activity trackers. The MK2, MK2i are a bit too large for my tastes to wear daily. I haven't seen an Atmos Mission in real life, but it looks to be similarly sized as the MK2/i.

Currently not the Apple watch, but there are others. The Garmin line is probably closest to a dive computer that can also be worn as a smartwatch/activity watch. Atmos Mission One was an attempt as well that combined a dive computer with a Smartwatch. Looks like Mission2 will also add more activities, so be closer to the Garmin line.

The thing is, to your point, most of these are very large. I think only the Garmin G1 and MK2s are really in the size range of smartwatches/activity trackers. The MK2, MK2i are a bit too large for my tastes to wear daily. I haven't seen an Atmos Mission in real life, but it looks to be similarly sized as the MK2/i.

Those Garmin computers do look nice. If they ever had the functionality of an Apple watch, I would be down with it.

I don’t understand the hostility. If you read my posts then you know that I don’t ignore my computer. I just have a plan that allows me to complete a square profile NDL dive, if necessary. If the computer fails beyond that planned time, then the dive is over, same as a dive using a single computer.
Not my intention.

It is just very uncommon and I mean VERY uncommon that people plan their dives when wearing a diving computer. Especially in recreational diving. For more technical dives, a backup DC makes more sense.

Any Dive Watch cost as much as an entry level Dive Computer so I see no point on unnecessarily complicating things. That's all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom