Diving + Venlafaxine (Effexor XR)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saijef

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm interested in speaking to divers who do or have dived while taking venlafaxine (pharmaceutical name) aka Effexor or Effexor-XR.

In particular, I'd like to discuss side effects of this drug that have been notably exacerbated by increased depth during dives.

Any links to documented accounts of dive incident/s that have been attributed to venlafaxine or other SSRI's used during diving would also be greatly appreciated.

ange

G'day DocVikingo,

I actually read that article way back in July / Aug 07 when I was concerned from side effects affecting my ability to dive.

Its quite a good article and covers the aspects of SNRI's that I was questioning, but as you noted in the article, lots of questions with no definitive answers.

I actually experienced two NLOC with tunnel vision and loss of sight (greying over, before greying out), but fought it and came through, also had disassociation from my environment. First at 30m (EAN30%), then 3 weeks later at 14m (air). No panic, but very much a sense of urgency each time to manage the situation.

I'm a beached diver at the moment while I undergo further tests (so far a full neuro exam, checks for CO2 retention, hypoglycemia), also have had all tanks analysed independently and passed. I'm lucky that I'm close to Sydneys hyperbaric facility to be under their care during the investigation.

More bloods are being ordered up for thyroid and some other checks as well (organic: grey matter growths and such; and chemical - can't remember specifically at the moment for what).

PO2 hit on the 30m dive was suspected but then ruled out when I advised my doc of the 2nd incident on air at 14m. Must note here though, that signs and symptoms started to clear pretty quickly above 12m and even more so at 10m. I had slight nausea and a head ache (frontal/temple area) but all cleared within 20 mins. I had the jitters, but I think that was more from the experience, then a part of the actual problem.

The effexor is just another area to try to rule out or nail as the culprit. I've come off the effexor since the incidents and the discontinuation effects are slowly diminishing w/o any returning mood issues (it was a situational event which led to the need for the script)

These side effects from discontinuation are very similar to the disorientation that I experienced u/w which makes me suspect it may be the cause. I wont know though pending the other test results returning free of any anomalies.

There must be others diving using Venlafaxine or similar AD medications, but here I suspect stigma may just hold some of those peeps coming forward to talk about diving and depression medications.

If you know of any specific documented cases or published papers, I'd be very interested in reading them and passing them onto my hyperbaric dr. I have access to uni databases and have periodically searched through journals looking for articles (see uni does pay off and has its perks :) ), so any insight on which journals maybe more appropriate and search parametres I'd be very appreciative in knowing about, so I can pass onto my doc's and read up myself.

stay safe
ange

Note:
If there are peeps reading this and are diving on AD meds, feel free to drop me a line to chat about your experience diving while under treatment. I'm more interested in incidents relating back to these types of drugs and how you've managed side effects while diving.

I'm also Skype-able using my SB login.

Hi Ange,

It sounds like you're getting a first class medical work up and hopefully this will assist in ruling in/out a number of possibilities.

It is possible that your experiences were due to the venlafaxine. If so, it's now been discontinued and is no longer a concern.

Best of luck and please keep us posted.

Regards,

DocVikingo

I'm hoping that running out of possibilities will eventually leave something tangible to tackle.

The more I consider the incidents, the more I am tending to lean toward venlafaxine as the culprit. With that said though, all other investigative avenues need to be ruled out completely.

Venlaxine discontinuation side-effects can last from weeks to months as they subside, with some patients reporting discontuation side-effects up to a year after last dose. The duration of the side-effects of stopping this AD is apparently dependant upon length of continued use, dosage and user sensitivity to the drug.

I'm only a week or so off the medication and though I am still experiencing some side effects (fuzzy head, insomia, sound and light hypersensitivity) they have notably lessened since taking the last dose.

Its an interesting area of dive medicine this one. Will be happy to keep you up to date; hopefully what I'm experiencing can help someone else through a similar situation.

angy

Hello Ange,

I am trying to educate myself about the medication (which I started taking it today - before I read your posting) and diving at the same time. So, suggestions will be no to dive during the medication?

Have you heard of any incidents about divers and venlafaxine? Thanks!

I have taken Effexor in the past without noticeable side effects on the surface or underwater. I am strictly a recreational diver. I primarily dive Nitrox when it is available. Most of my dives are less than 70-80 feet, but I do occasional dives to recreational limits.

Good day

I am trying to find the MEDICAL LEGAL opinion of diving while on Effexor? I am a Commercial scuba diver and have been taking it for about 8 years ( prescribed by a Psychiatrist - Checked every 3 months) and have felt ABSOULUTELY NO SIDE EFFECTS while diving or after dives. Please could someone advise. Thanks

Do you fall under any commercial diving regulations?

I've been on Effexor and Welbutrin for over 15 years. I've never noticed any kind of side effect while diving. I'm curious to hear others experience.

Back
Top Bottom