Diving two computers ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Landlocked123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Given that I am now doing dives mostly in the 110-130 range I am considering purchasing another dive computer as a backup. These are bounce dives on air with very little bottom time - 2-6 minutes (I have very conservative gradient factors set on my petrel) as I am working on a charting project at the local quarry with a handful of dive buddies. I am trying to weigh if it makes sense to invest in another petrel as a backup given we will be pushing NDL limits. These are no deco dives but given the dive profiles I feel this may be a wise investment. Do most people that dive 2 computers dive the same one?

Given that I am now doing dives mostly in the 110-130 range I am considering purchasing another dive computer as a backup. These are bounce dives on air with very little bottom time - 2-6 minutes (I have very conservative gradient factors set on my petrel) as I am working on a charting project at the local quarry with a handful of dive buddies. I am trying to weigh if it makes sense to invest in another petrel as a backup given we will be pushing NDL limits. These are no deco dives but given the dive profiles I feel this may be a wise investment. Do most people that dive 2 computers dive the same one?
It's the easiest thing to do, you will not be able to match computers running different deco algorithms. You could dive a backup that is more liberal than the GFs you are running on your Petrel. What GFs do you run? DSAT often works pretty well, even when running 45/95.

Yeah I know very conservative settings... I may go 45/80 ... I had my eyes on an Ix3M. I know it will run Buhlman also so the NDL's should be exactly the same or very close to one another. I could just dive the more conservative one.

If you can afford it, a second Shearwater computer would be ideal. For me, I run a second puck computer in gauge mode and carry a set of pre-cut tables as a back up in the event that shearwater fails. These are for planned deco dives though. If you want to save a bit of money, you could still consider doing something like this and then just run your plan in a dive planning software. I'd be happy to help you with this more if you have any questions.

Yeah I know very conservative settings... I may go 45/80 ... I had my eyes on an Ix3M. I know it will run Buhlman also so the NDL's should be exactly the same or very close to one another. I could just dive the more conservative one.
Ratio runs Buhlmann ZH-L16B, may be a bit different than 16C, I would guess a little more liberal at the same GFs

Any experience on Ratio IX3m? I like the size of the screen and brightness. Long story short screen display is a must. We are dropping from 70 to 110 in zero viz through a layer of suspended particulate matter. Hence we built a shotline system and deployed it. Hard bottom at 135 currently. I dont know of too many other options in that category of computer although I heard aqualung came out with a new computer also. Ryan appreciate the help with the deco software but since these are planned no deco not sure how I would use it. Are you saying having tables for 1,2,3, minutes passed NDL scenarios on top of the NDL profile we are diving? We are building 3 minutes of extra NDL time just to sort anything out already.

Why don't you spend the money on some training and equipment that allow you to spend more than 6 minutes at depth? I have two Petrels, but the 2nd one was a recent purchase. I used a BT and tables as backup for 10+years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom