Diving Tropical Oz in Winter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark Goodchild

Contributor
Reaction score
First thing.......I'm most definitely a warm water tropics diver.

I'm just in the process of booking a nice long holiday for next year to Australia.

But I'm a little concerned about the water temperature. Now I'm sure its not going to be really cold but I'm worried it may be colder than I'm used to.

I plan to dive Ningaloo Reef in Western Australia and also a liveaboard out of Cairns. Possibly out to the coral sea although that is as yet undecided.

The time I will visit is likely to be May or even June. Really to coincide with the whale sharks in Western Oz.

Hope someone can help.
Thanks,

Water on the Ningaloo will be between 24 - 28 in May and 24 - 26 in June, most likely.

Late May and June are my favourite times here for the big guys - humpbacks, mantas & whale sharks. Probably have plenty of dollies around, too.

Can't help with Coral Sea - but do a web search, there is a water temp guide out there but I can't remember the details...

I did a liveaboard from cairns in July last year and the water was warm i only snorkeled and the water was warm. i didnt even need a wet suit. it was warm out of the water as well!

Mark Goodchild:
First thing.......I'm most definitely a warm water tropics diver.

I'm just in the process of booking a nice long holiday for next year to Australia.

But I'm a little concerned about the water temperature. Now I'm sure its not going to be really cold but I'm worried it may be colder than I'm used to.

I plan to dive Ningaloo Reef in Western Australia and also a liveaboard out of Cairns. Possibly out to the coral sea although that is as yet undecided.

The time I will visit is likely to be May or even June. Really to coincide with the whale sharks in Western Oz.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks,

My wife and I dove from Port Douglas a liveaboard to Osprey reef (Coral Sea) then on to Cod Hole and to Ribbons, the "Diversity" a Quicksilver boat. The temps in the end of June in the most northernly region (Osprey) was 82F on the most southernly (Agincourt) just north of Port Douglas was 77F. We stayed in Cairns and took the Quicksilver ferry to Port Douglas. There is allot to do in Cairns as far as land and sight seeing.

Have a great time,
Caymaniac

Back
Top Bottom