Diving trips with a snoring partner.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to talk to her like I was an air traffic controller and kept clearing her for takeoff and landing- she didn't appreciate that very much

Hahahahahahah, that is cruel but very funny!

I used to talk to her like I was an air traffic controller and kept clearing her for takeoff and landing

You’re definitely not going to be cleared for a “touch and go” with those antics! :wink:

I am in the trades and back in 2010 when nobody was framing houses, me, Rion and big Dave had to travel to find work. It was brutal. We had to stay in a hotel far from home, and with me being the youngest, I slept on the hotel floor. Rough! Those guys snored like you would not believe, specially after a night in the tavern. Best advice.... drink more than your girlfriend so you can fall asleep first. Only thing that worked for me.

+1 for Bose noise cancelling headsets. I have Bose 35 Quietcomfort & love them! They’re great for airplanes, etc.

Also, my duck hunting buddy used to snore horribly before he had a cpap. An Ambien worked great before I had the Bose headset. If I were going to sleep in some sort of bunk room now, I would take both.

Hi, what do you guys do when your partner has a terrible snoring problem and you're stuck in small hotel room or even worse a livaboard stateroom with them, and you need your sleep and it's 2 am and the walls are shaking with each breath they take? My girlfriend uses a CPAP machine at home on some nights, on others when she forgets and my constant poking of her ribs is not effective, I find myself on the couch or a spare bedroom but unless there's an unused janitorial closet in a dive resort hotel or a private area in the main lobby with a suitable piece of furniture, I'm SOL. (That's S-H-I-T out of luck).

Her CPAP machine is rather heavy and although it's considered "medical equipment" not to be used for luggage weight calculations it's still something else to drag along.

We find that after a few days in tropical air she breathes better but by then I'm in a sleep deficit situation and we all know we need our beauty sleep for those high energy dives we'll be waking up for at 7:30 am the following morning.

I can't be the only one with this problem!

P.S. When I call her "Snorzolla" she calls me "Bed Hog" hence the origin of my username.

-BH

I have sleep apnea and I use a dental appliance rather than a c-pap machine. It is small and easily portable, about the size of a retainer. This is NOT an over-the-counter "one size fits all" device. It was made specifically for me by a dentist certified in sleep denistry who was recommended by my apnea physician. The device was tested and adjusted for me during an overnight sleep study.

In noisy situations I find that these soft, moldable earplugs are more effective and more comfortable then traditional foam earplugs:

Mack's Pillow Soft Silicone Earplugs

Twenty five pounds - holy crap! I have been using a CPAP off and on for 15+ years. My current model is 11.5 x 7.5 x 3 inches and probably weighs 5 pounds plus the hose and mask. It is a non-event for me to carry and pack - sometimes in a suitcase and other times in the provided carry case.

If your girlfriend is covered by insurance, perhaps she can get an updated model. Seems like insurance generally covers them ever 5 years or so. Good luck.

Yes, that's about the size of my brother in law's, only his have been upgraded to just a canula set in each nostril.

I have Bose noise cancelling headphones that I love for flying. They're a little awkward to sleep in, but in the situation you describe, they're the better alternative. You don't need to listen to music and the chord unplugs... just flip the switch and silence.

Alternatively, consider a new girlfriend. ;-)

He's got a diving girlfriend!! Swapping out isn't an option. The complaint being so much more often "my girlfriend doesn't dive"

I have Bose noise cancelling headphones that I love for flying. They're a little awkward to sleep in, but in the situation you describe, they're the better alternative. You don't need to listen to music and the chord unplugs... just flip the switch and silence.

Alternatively, consider a ne

Now you can get them in ear buds and they were just recommended to me the other day.

Back
Top Bottom