Diving to 130 ft ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are comfortable with diving but I'm wondering what the thoughts are in regard to going to 130ft for the first time.

I'm sorry that I can't recommend that you proceed with a 130' dive without more experience, as 45 dives over 7 years (6 dives a year) doesn't translate to enough deeper diving experience on air to justify going to that depth. Basically, you don't know how narcosis will affect you and there is quite a bit of difference in some people in how they feel at 130' the first time. Perhaps you could take a deep dive course while you're there or ask that an instructor to accompany you on this dive, as it doesn't seem like you will necessarily have anyone closeby at that depth with deeper water experience.

I would have recommended that you do progressively deeper dives to build up some deeper water experience first, but it seems from your statement that this isn't feasible. There are more dangerous things about diving deeper air than narcosis. Gas consumption can be huge and proper decompression is always something to contend with. Get more experience and training; there's always next year. Have a good trip.

I would not do it. "Currents can be strong & unpredictable..." Do your first dive to 130 ft. in better conditions, with an instructor if possible, and with lots of planning.

You were smart to ask others though....

Hmm, August of 2009 the OP posted "we will be diving in Cozumel this Thanksgiving."

I think today's suggestions to not do it are a bit late. :p

He ended up doing the dive and had no problems. I think he posted back on page 7 or 8 of this thread with a video clip of the dive. It really is a pretty easy dive.

He ended up doing the dive and had no problems. I think he posted back on page 7 or 8 of this thread with a video clip of the dive. It really is a pretty easy dive.

And boring too. :p

(Actually, I did Cathedral, not Devil's Throat, but I'm guessing they're pretty similar)

Yep. It's one of those, "Did it once don't really need to do it again dives." I'd much rather cruise around at 50 to 60 ft.

Oh never mind. Opinions are like noses, so I'll just edit away my opinion and live peacefully.

Yep. It's one of those, "Did it once don't really need to do it again dives." I'd much rather cruise around at 50 to 60 ft.

Santa Rosa Wall was much cooler at equivalent depths.

Well, the overall landscape at Punta Sur is SUPER cool. Very dramatic canyons with tall relief. But the "cathedral" itself is pointless, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom