Diving to 130 ft ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

....I believe mid 120's would put you at or near 1.6.
1.6bar is ~131ft

Just today, I did a dive to 120-something ft to the Avenger torpedo bomber wreck outside of Anacapa Island on 32% Nitrox and I was narced like crazy. .....
You were lucky to get "Narced" before getting an O2 hit :depressed:

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I was thinking the same thing, but as a newer diver wasn't going to debate anyone with more experience than me on the subject. For recreational diving we routinely dive 30% here as most of our wreck dives within rec limits are 90-130 feet. I'm not one for pushing limits, my luck isn't that good. :(

From what I've read you have a greater chance of an "undeserved" DCS hit on a non-deco air dive than to 'Tox at 120-ish on 32%. :coffee:

On the working portion of the dive I am not breaking a pO2 of 1.4 (I like to stay around 1.2) If one were to accidently fall slightly below 110' for a couple minutes that's understandable but to conduct a dive in 120+ feet of water for the duration of the dive on 32% is not acceptable with todays standards. Waiting for the old farts to chime in :popcorn:

A dive is always planned with the maxium depth as the first consideration as we all know. Most all dives however will not be accomplished on a square profile but with some degree of multiple shallower levels such that the resulting Po2 will be materially lower than that of the max depth. I guarantee you fnfalman's actually Po2 for that dive was no more than 1.3 - 1.4...

What kind of work are you conducting on your dives to be so conservative?

I could find a lot of things to read (especially on the internet) that I wouldn't do also. It doesn't change the fact that the industry recommendation (a rule in my book) is 1.4 for the working portion of a dive and 1.6 for deco. Many places are recommending 1.2 for the working portion. In the situation where the poster described an increased WOB and elevated anxiety, deeper than the recommended MOD is not where I'd want to be.

A dive is always planned with the maxium depth as the first consideration as we all know. Most all dives however will not be accomplished on a square profile but with some degree of multiple shallower levels such that the resulting Po2 will be materially lower than that of the max depth. I guarantee you fnfalman's actually Po2 for that dive was no more than 1.3 - 1.4...

What kind of work are you conducting on your dives to be so conservative?

I beg to differ, the poster was not talking about diving on a shipwreck, he stated he was diving on an Avenger Torpedo bomber. Although I havent dove this particular wreck I'm familiar with the plane in question and the area he dove (we aren't talking about a caribbean wall reef or the spiegel grove). I'm assuming that unless than plane was completely vertical standing on it's nose it was a very square profile dive. For reference here is a picture of the Avenger.

Grumman_TBF_Avenger.jpg

Being conservative :wink: I would bet that plane doesn't stick more than 10' off the bottom. Like I said I don't know the details I wasn't there, but as another poster already mentioned, I don't want newer divers thinking it's common acceptable practice to break MOD's.

I beg to differ, the poster was not talking about diving on a shipwreck, he stated he was diving on an Avenger Torpedo bomber. Although I havent dove this particular wreck I'm familiar with the plane in question and the area he dove (we aren't talking about a caribbean wall reef or the spiegel grove). I'm assuming that unless than plane was completely vertical standing on it's nose it was a very square profile dive. For reference here is a picture of the Avenger.

Being conservative :wink: I would bet that plane doesn't stick more than 10' off the bottom. Like I said I don't know the details I wasn't there, but as another poster already mentioned, I don't want newer divers thinking it's common acceptable practice to break MOD's.

Good point with fnfalman's specific dive. I was speaking more in general. I have not read of any comments on this thread of divers exceding their MOD. The question is who's MOD? IANTD uses 1.5. If I was diving Wakulla with all manner of equipment in tow I would also target a Po2 of 1.2 otherwise I am seeking to eliminate as much nitrogen as safely posiable for a myriad of reasons.

Thal will tell you NOAA's Po2 standard was 1.8 for many, many years without incident as well as military divers at 2.0. At the rate we are going we will be diving air again in 15 years...Lol

P.S. Good pics

Good point, I understand every organization his it's own number depending on what year you check their manuals. I also understand this is by no means an exact science but in this situation since the poster's profile states his certification agency is PADI I would assume he should follow the current standards of his training organization.

On the working portion of the dive I am not breaking a pO2 of 1.4 (I like to stay around 1.2) If one were to accidently fall slightly below 110' for a couple minutes that's understandable but to conduct a dive in 120+ feet of water for the duration of the dive on 32% is not acceptable with todays standards. Waiting for the old farts to chime in :popcorn:

According to the PADI table, with 32% Nitrox, at 120-ft, PPO is 1.48 and I can stay up to 19-minutes before hitting NDL. Consider that I was at depth for 10-minutes (planned bottom time), I think that I was OK. Of course, you are welcome to stick to the 1.4 ATA limit.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

How am I going to get an O2 hit if I don't break maximum operating depth for 32% Nitrox?

My planned dive was more than sufficient with the table and within the dive computer's plan.

Thank you. From dive computer's log, PPO was 1.45 ATA.

It was a simple dive. You go down, you eyeball the plane, you snap some photos and go up.

I'm sure that's too high for some of you people, so please by all means, dive your dive any which way you want. I simply posted my experience on the recent dive I made. I know what PADI taught, and I know what and how I want to dive.

Back
Top Bottom