Diving Tips From Experienced SB Divers to nOObies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After you've achieved the other 150 suggestions............
Develop a good eye. Find the little blue crab the size of your thumb nail deep in the blue coral. Appreciation of the tiny and camaflouged life can make a mundane dive fantastic. And share it with others.

After a guided dive, tip the DM.

SeaHorseWoman:
After you've achieved the other 150 suggestions............
Develop a good eye. Find the little blue crab the size of your thumb nail deep in the blue coral. Appreciation of the tiny and camaflouged life can make a mundane dive fantastic. And share it with others.

Got any suggestions? I've slowed *way* down and I'm seeing a lot more than I used to. Still, I could use a better eye...

Code Monkey:
Got any suggestions? I've slowed *way* down and I'm seeing a lot more than I used to. Still, I could use a better eye...

Code Monkey---- you're a much, much more experienced diver than I am, but I can tell you how I'm working on it anyhow.

My learning to dive process was long and (expensively) involved lots of private guided dives with people who know the area well, so alot was pointed out to me. I also study sea life guide books for my area and try to learn habitats and life-styles.
Practice. I've been wildflower hunting for about 30 years, so I notice the little stuff. It's harder under water, so I go real slow. Sometimes I pick a small coral head and spend nearly my whole dive there, examining every inch. Gradually, I'm getting better at it, so it takes less time. I try to get as close as I can safely (my eyesight is not that good).

I'm fortunate to be diving in Eilat with clear warm water with little current---I don't know how I'd do in other conditions. Eilat diving doesn't have the magnificent big views of Sinai RedSea, but diving here with a *macro attitude* is fantastic.

My problem is hyper-focusing--- I'm working on multitasking my focus so I don't forget about my buddy!

Barbara

Don't take it so seriously. that you forget to have fun and enjoy the experience.

The last few times I read the DAN accident report thing, the overwhelming majority of accidents were still gas mismanagement, so I would have to say: read yer dang gauges!

Be very comfortable calling off your dive. In fact, do it occasionally just to stay capable of never putting other's schedules, money, peer pressure in front of your inner voice. Always listen to the inner voice that is working to keep you alive and safe. God gave us powerful instincts and we are now over-domesticated and civilized to a point where we have lost much of our ability to read the environment.

One of the most rewarding things about diving for many is the silence and the development of this part of your mind.

Always wear clean underwear, because if you bite it, you don't want to be going out with a big skid mark.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom