Diving this weekend (May 22-May 25)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any reports back yet? Looks like I will be down tomorrow. Mike M. - I don't have your # so PM me if you are still interested!

Posted via Mobile Device

Any reports back yet? Looks like I will be down tomorrow. Mike M. - I don't have your # so PM me if you are still interested!

Posted via Mobile Device

Hi Sarita,

I just got back from diving Lobos, viz in the cove was 20-25 feet doable and very calm on the surface, glass like conditions... A little surge on the bottom but nothing to write home about, 50 degrees at 45 mins...

That was enough to send home my partner, she was only in a 7mm with a hooded vest and she tapped out and didn't want to do dive number two, so with no partners left I drove to BW...

Classes are going on and the conditions there are glass also but I don't know how good the viz is?

I am home resting up, thinking about comming back out tomorrow, but if all of you are not sure then I can start the house work that is pilling up...

Let me know who's diving and where?

Thanks,

MG

Posted via Mobile Device

Sorry for taking so long. After limping home (diving + food + margarita == tired) I get a call from my brother asking me to come down and watch his kids since he got called into work.

Brandon, Cameron, Ericson, and I did McAbee today. The topside weather was over-cast, breezy, and colder then I expected. The vis was pretty bad (10ish feet with lots of stuff floating about), water temp was about normal, and the surge was annoying at times but nothing to worry about.

Sorry for taking so long. After limping home (diving + food + margarita == tired) I get a call from my brother asking me to come down and watch his kids since he got called into work.

Brandon, Cameron, Ericson, and I did McAbee today. The topside weather was over-cast, breezy, and colder then I expected. The vis was pretty bad (10ish feet with lots of stuff floating about), water temp was about normal, and the surge was annoying at times but nothing to worry about.

It was a great day diving! Great viz (~6-10ft), 54F water temp, 56min bottom time, max depth 30ft. Yeah that's deep! Brandon led us out of Macabee beach to the right--pretty much cruised out behind El Torito. I definitely like to do that dive again with better viz. I got a few pics to give you an idea of the great time we had.

Ericson

Attachments

• redrockcrab.jpg
    redrockcrab.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 32
  • mikemill.jpg
    mikemill.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 33
  • bbianchi.jpg
    bbianchi.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 37
  • macabeeparty.jpg
    macabeeparty.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 34
Better late than never!

Here is what I know...

People gave up on North Monastery because it was way too big.

McAbee was flat, vis was probably 15' or so with light. Problem is with the overcast, poor vis, low tide, and resulting thick kelp it was like a night dive. No joking either. If your light was off you couldn't see anything more that the kelp a foot or two away swaying. Thankfully we had several lights. We ended up not going deeper than 30 fsw, mainly because I didnt want to get disoriented with all the kelp/rocks to swim around and the pitch black. So I kept the faint green glow from the kelp edge just barely in my range of vision so I knew which way I was going.

Id suggest in bay and deep for tomorrow. Chuck was giving 20-30' reports from his usual boat dive spots so theres some good water out there. Certainly a good day to pay the Metridium a visit.

It was a great day diving! Great viz (~6-10ft), 54F water temp, 56min bottom time, max depth 30ft. Yeah that's deep! Brandon led us out of Macabee beach to the right--pretty much cruised out behind El Torito. I definitely like to do that dive again with better viz. I got a few pics to give you an idea of the great time we had.

Ericson

LOL! Thanks for the crab! :D

Robin and I dove the BW this morning. We did 63 minutes doing the left and middle areas of the site. Swam out, 300 heading, 180 back. Ended up way out in about 45' of water. Vis definitely improved out in the deeper areas. Inside the kelp was incredibly dark and neither of us thought to bring a light. I got a serious case of tunnel vision. Nice dive though - tons of different kinds of nudis, bat stars (of course!), a whelk orgie and a huuuuuuge crab.

Here are some of my better images:

Wrestling Bat Stars (in honor of my buddy):
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/lcFK2UT3ou4aYYRpXWIHJA?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/QrtCSq1BSh1DmfoID2d0Og?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ljC5_rmalpUv9A_oVVO9hg?feat=directlink

Robin, 1 Nudi and 2 Bat Stars walk into a bar.....
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/-0rTMBxbDyMJghm7NORoEA?feat=directlink

Whelk Orgie (NSFW) :)
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3g3pailafKHXIHDfwqJ-IQ?feat=directlink

Sarah,

Great pics! What a fun dive today. I should have put my macro lens on and brought my camera. I dont get to dive the middle reef area of BW enough. There sure was a ton of life there today.

Back
Top Bottom