Diving this weekend 12-15&16th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Update - The son has agreed to join me - his choice - Mansfield. We'll be out there about 10 on Saturday.
How was your dive, Bill? I was across the lake at Bob Wentz Park. The wind was howling. Water temp was 64 degrees from surface to 60'. Waves were in the 1'-2' range. There was a pretty stiff surge near the shore. Vis still bites...probably in the 1'-3' range at the depths I was exploring. I loved it!!:D

Water temp was 64 degrees from surface to 60'.

Still sorta warm in the upper water huh!

Still sorta warm in the upper water huh!
Yep...the undergarment I had on wasn't much more than long johns. The wind was screaming topside though...I felt sorry for the wind surfers, but they were having so much fun I don't think they noticed noticed the cold wind.:)

Didn't see any other divers. they must've all been down at Aquarena diving and breathing thru bamboo straws.:rofl3:

Didn't see any other divers. they must've all been down at Aquarena diving and breathing thru bamboo straws.:rofl3:

.........:rofl3:.....that's silly.

Yep...the undergarment I had on wasn't much more than long johns. The wind was screaming topside though...I felt sorry for the wind surfers, but they were having so much fun I don't think they noticed noticed the cold wind.:)

You bet we were. Shawn and I had a windless, sunny:sunny, cloudless day with 72 degree water and baby blue vis.
Surface interval was warm and dry with good company.

1st dive 87 minutes, came up still warm in my wetsuit.

Got to suit up wet for my second dive in the new HOT SHOWERS overlooking deep hole. Suiting up wet in HOT SHOWERS ROCKS!!!!!!!!!

2nd dive 60 minutes.... Still warm.

Great day diving!:D

You bet we were. Shawn and I had a windless, sunny:sunny, cloudless day with 72 degree water and baby blue vis.
Surface interval was warm and dry with good company.

1st dive 87 minutes, came up still warm in my wetsuit.

Got to suit up wet for my second dive in the new HOT SHOWERS overlooking deep hole. Suiting up wet in HOT SHOWERS ROCKS!!!!!!!!!

2nd dive 60 minutes.... Still warm.

Great day diving!:D

Now that sounds like a real challenge...NOT!! Doesn't take much backgas to wave dirt off the top of sand at 15'. I just hope you didn't get lost in the low vis and huge body of water that Aquarena is so well-known for. I worry about you guys out there in that dangerous body of shallow, crystal clear water. What if you got lost or had to do a CESA from 15-20', or worse yet a perch bit your ear...scary...really. :wink:

Maybe when your drysuit gets here you'll be ready for some real divin'! :D If so, drop me a note.

Oh, btw, I wasn't cold...I had my drysuit on. It was the windsurfers I was worried about. :)

Now that sounds like a real challenge...NOT!! Doesn't take much backgas to wave dirt off the top of sand at 15'. I just hope you didn't get lost in the low vis and huge body of water that Aquarena is so well-known for. I worry about you guys out there in that dangerous body of shallow, crystal clear water. What if you got lost or had to do a CESA from 15-20', or worse yet a perch bit your ear...scary...really. :wink:

Maybe when your drysuit gets here you'll be ready for some real divin'! :D If so, drop me a note.

Oh, btw, I wasn't cold...I had my drysuit on. It was the windsurfers I was worried about. :)

Yup, it was good stuff, see attached pic from today....

Hopefully the lake turn will have settled a bit by the time the suit arrives.
Of course I'd be happy to join you on a deeper, darker venture after some practice diving dry:eyebrow:

Attachments

• Aquarena 12-16-07 (12).jpg
    Aquarena 12-16-07 (12).jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 39
Yup, it was good stuff, see attached pic from today....

Hopefully the lake turn will have settled a bit by the time the suit arrives.
Of course I'd be happy to join you on a deeper, darker venture after some practice diving dry:eyebrow:

Ha! I knew you had it in ya!! :D I plan to be out at the lake as often as possible this winter. Let me know when you're ready. I've been spending more time out at Bob Wentz mapping it. I think I'm going to go a little treasure hunting out at Hippie Hollow too.

Nice pict BTW!

How was your dive, Bill? I was across the lake at Bob Wentz Park. The wind was howling. Water temp was 64 degrees from surface to 60'. Waves were in the 1'-2' range. There was a pretty stiff surge near the shore. Vis still bites...probably in the 1'-3' range at the depths I was exploring. I loved it!!:D

We dove off Mansfield - free admission for some reason - that was nice. We saw the white caps on the water, but the shore area was very calm, which was also very nice. We had the place to ourselves.

Viz was beyond crap – I’m thinking 18 inches at best. We dropped on the buoy line to the platform and followed the guidelines to the first boat. We literally had to keep both lights shined on the line to be able to see it. Stephen turned his light away for a moment and I totally lost both him and the line for a moment. Stayed at 50-60 ft and just followed random lines until we managed to find our way back to the platform.

Second dive was more aggressive – we dropped to 35 feet – just above the “cave dark” level and turned towards the dam. We just swam until I literally ran into it. We’ve never been to the dam face so it was pretty cool.

How bad was the viz? – Stephen was trailing me by about 12 inches – his head was at my shoulder. I ran into the dam with my outstretched arm and stopped. Stephen stopped too. I was looking right at the dam – not even 2 feet away and I notice Stephen’s light was shined on some random rock on the bottom. He hadn’t seen the dam wall! I tapped him on the head and motioned for him to look up. It wasn’t until then that he realized it was there.

Discovering new things in cold, dark, creepy low viz water – the perfect diving day. Best part of the day – getting out of the water and feeling the wind hit us – and not being bothered by it – dry diving rocks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom