Diving the U-853

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do people still dive the U-853 off the coast of Rhode Island; near Block Island? Can anyone recommend dive shops or dive boat operators that take divers to the U-853? I live in CT and I don't do a lot of local diving, but this dive has always captured my interest. And I'm thinking I should look into doing it. Any thoughts or recommendations will be appreciated.
When you find out I’d like to hear back. I’m just starting to get my act together and get back into diving. This dive is on my to do list!

tempImagePpVHVH.jpg

Does anyone know which Rhode Island based Diver Operator sells this shirt? Must have. I saw this shirt on a You Tube video that was about diving the U-853.

View attachment 743847
Does anyone know which Rhode Island based Diver Operator sells this shirt? Must have. I saw this shirt on a You Tube video that was about diving the U-853.
Giant Stride Dive Shop

Giant Stride Diving in Warwick, Rhode Island was responsible for this shirt. Funny story - the first run of shirts they made did not have the cross-buster (strike) through the swastika. They quickly changed that design.

Giant Stride Dive Shop

Giant Stride Diving in Warwick, Rhode Island was responsible for this shirt. Funny story - the first run of shirts they made did not have the cross-buster (strike) through the swastika. They quickly changed that design.
You are the only person to know the origin of that shirt.

Can I get one? I would buy it with or without the cross buster, insignificant politically correct detail to me. While I don't see that shirt on the GS dive shop web site I will call them tomorrow to see if it is possible to get one. Thanks.

Can I get one? I would buy it with or without the cross buster, insignificant politically correct detail to me. While I don't see that shirt on the GS dive shop web site I will call them tomorrow to see if it is possible to get one. Thanks.
Please post or send me a DM if successful. I would like one as well

Please post or send me a DM if successful. I would like one as well
I have been on the hunt for that shirt for awhile now. I think for a diver operator shirt it is something different. I already emailed the dive shop and will call them tomorrow now that Macado provided the key information. In the email I sent I included the picture of the shirt I posted above. I am thinking about getting a Nazi U Boat reproduction Captains hat to wear on dive boats next year when I am going out to see the U Boats. Just trying to set the mood and add a little levity, not a Neo Natzi thing. I wonder how people on the dive boat would react to the hat thing ?

Unfortunately I don't think I have one anymore. Best bet is to see if Giant Stride still sells them. I believe they were pretty popular at one point.

I have been on the hunt for that shirt for awhile now. I think for a diver operator shirt it is something different. I already emailed the dive shop and will call them tomorrow now that Macado provided the key information. In the email I sent I included the picture of the shirt I posted above. I am thinking about getting a Nazi U Boat reproduction Captains hat to wear on dive boats next year when I am going out to see the U Boats. Just trying to set the mood and add a little levity, not a Neo Natzi thing. I wonder how people on the dive boat would react to the hat thing ?

I think people would find it to be in extremely poor taste. In fact, this whole conversation is crazy to me. Say what you want about not wearing swastikas on your clothing as merely a sign of adherence to political correctness (it isn’t), but the u-boats were also responsible for a lot of death and destruction along our shorelines.

I am thinking about getting a Nazi U Boat reproduction Captains hat to wear on dive boats next year when I am going out to see the U Boats. Just trying to set the mood and add a little levity...

Seriously? A little levity?

I dove U352 in the spring of 2004 and the dive shop we used (in Moorehead City) had a similar shirt, that I believe I still have. I wore it around some after diving it, but one time while on a film set out in California, I had to explain it to two producers. They understood, but I told them I wouldn't wear it on set anymore, and in fact I basically put it in my shirt drawer and left it there. It had a larger swastika that was not crossed out. I asked at the shop why they included that, as I'm willing to bet no one on that sub was a member of the NSDAP.

Back
Top Bottom