Diving the U-853

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saharasurfer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Do people still dive the U-853 off the coast of Rhode Island; near Block Island? Can anyone recommend dive shops or dive boat operators that take divers to the U-853? I live in CT and I don't do a lot of local diving, but this dive has always captured my interest. And I'm thinking I should look into doing it. Any thoughts or recommendations will be appreciated.

Giant Stride is the only place I know of that dives here.

Red at Giant Stride uses Priority 2 out of the Jude . Do it sooner than latter as the last time I was on the Tight Rope Walker she was showing her age . Also check with Ed at Divers Cove in Essex CT as there just might be a new boat going into service .

The one time I dove it years ago was with Capt. Chuck and the Sea Turtle and it's my favorite wreck dive to date!

Made 2 dives on it, summer of 2002 - 20 years ago. Got my AOW from Steve Brady back then - who owned both the boat and Newport Diving Center. Unfortunately, the shop changed owners to someone who badly mishandled things; building was eventually resold and converted to a B+B.

Didn't fully penetrate the boat, but vividly remember the chamber beneath the forward blasthole . . . and what appeared to be several white skulls scattered on the lower deck.

The wreck is deteriorating but still worth it. Sea Turtle runs a charter and I think Hamptons Dive Center also has trips there. I get there by my own boat from Montauk, it's about a 75 minute trip at speed to get there.

We last were there in the fall and it was a great time. Please give appropriate respect to the crew still on board, most were 16 and 17 year old kids.

Canned Air out of Conneticut used to go there, sadly they are OOB now.

Thanks for the Sea Turtle tip, I will look into that. Unless, Coldwaterglutton wants 2 divers for his boat who don't mind cold water, who will pay for all the gas and beer ?

How about a SB U-853 trip followed by lunch in Montauk at the Gig Shack ? :cheers:

Do people still dive the U-853 off the coast of Rhode Island; near Block Island? Can anyone recommend dive shops or dive boat operators that take divers to the U-853? I live in CT and I don't do a lot of local diving, but this dive has always captured my interest. And I'm thinking I should look into doing it. Any thoughts or recommendations will be appreciated.
I hope you will do a detailed AAR when you return from the wreck.

Canned Air out of Conneticut used to go there, sadly they are OOB now.

Thanks for the Sea Turtle tip, I will look into that. Unless, Coldwaterglutton wants 2 divers for his boat who don't mind cold water, who will pay for all the gas and beer ?

How about a SB U-853 trip followed by lunch in Montauk at the Gig Shack ? :cheers:

I don’t know when I’m going this year, but always looking for an extra diving pair for the trip.

The bigger problem this year is that it normally costs me about $1000 in gas to make this trip from my home port to Montauk to the wreck and back. This year — OUCH!

Back
Top Bottom