Diving the Peace Boat Aug 16~18th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
the Peace is a great boat, we have done it a couple of times. Ventura is a nice little town, too. Some good restuarants right there at the harbor - seafood and a nice greek one. I am sure you will have a great time.

Why aren't you coming with the rest of us on the Great Escape over Labor Day weekend???

Hey Robint, Labor day is no good for me as I am headed to Peru that week. This is a last minute deal for us. I just talked wity Joy from the Great Escape, what a nice lady. The Peace Boat, Aug 16-18 trip should be awsome. We need two more people to cover costs to do San Clemente, otherwise we will be doing the northern Channel Islands which is fine with me.

Hey Robint, Labor day is no good for me as I am headed to Peru that week. This is a last minute deal for us. I just talked wity Joy from the Great Escape, what a nice lady. The Peace Boat, Aug 16-18 trip should be awsome. We need two more people to cover costs to do San Clemente, otherwise we will be doing the northern Channel Islands which is fine with me.

I understand. :D
Peace is a great boat and the Northern Islands are very nice. I like both areas alot. Northern islands do stay cooler, so you will see more nudibranchs there which I do miss by diving the Southern islands. San Clemente is very nice but since you guys have never done Calif at all, it will be fine regardless of which islands you visit. Just be sure to stop and look around. I got the bujeezus scared out of me when I was just hovering there looking at a nudie then realized there was an enormous lingcod sitting on the same rock staring back at me! He was the size of a whale... errr, well, he was about 24-30" long. :wink: He blended in so well I didn't see him until I was a foot away. Here's Ron's pic of him:
SC_Cabezon0046.jpg

I found my first nudie on my own there other than the usual spanish shawls that are everywhere. Here it is with my finger:
nudi_chromodorid90237.JPG

deck of the Peace:
Peace121.JPG

robin:D

Nice photos, I know what you mean about surprises lurking in the Kelp. My first dive at Catalina I flushed a Pacific Torpedo Ray which hung out with me for the rest of the dive, it wasn't till I looked it up in the fish book that I realised it can deliver a massive electric shock. Good thing I didn't try and pet it!
The ladders off the stern of the Peace Boat look kinda steep. Any ideas on what to bring for the boat?

Any ideas on what to bring for the boat?
Ear plugs!

Ear plugs!

yes, earplugs and heavy sweatshirt and pants for wearing downstairs in evenings/sleeping. They keep the boat a/c downstairs pretty chilly as I remember. Take a nice save-a-dive kit with you. They have wrenches and stuff to help fix anything that breaks but its best if you have parts for your specific gear with you. :wink:

Exiting the boat - giant stride off the side, and it is pretty far up. Close your legs before you hit the water! :shocked2: If you are taking photo gear, they will lower it down to you on a rope once you are in.

Returning to boat ---the stairs are steep, but you come up on a platform in the water first, on your knees, and the Dm standing there will take off your fins and help you stand up. Then you climb up the ladder. It was odd for us the first time, but you get used to it. Only problem is I always come home with bruised knees after a couple of days of diving!! :wink:

Be prepared to eat alot... food is good and plentiful on the Peace! :D

If you can't make it to San Clemente, hopefully they will stop at Santa Barbara for a day. It is fun diving with all those sea lions. Also, beg them to stop at one of the oil rigs to dive. We did the Grace with the Peace back a few years ago. Here's the video: California - diving the Oil Platform Grace, Aug 2006 on Vimeo

Trip time is growing short, and I'm READY to dive! :)

Pacific Torpedo Ray.. noted, now what the hell do they look like! :confused:

Add to my list.. Fish ID card for S. CA, and it never ends!

not my photo, it is by Chris Grossman, a regular Calif diver and moderator for California Scuba Diving BBS forum, news, photos, videos, dive boats, stories, and weather website.
P9099541hlr.jpg

I love his photos and trip reports. Here is his trip report from diving this past weekend:
Dive Report: Catalina on the Great Escape : Aug 8, 2009
and the weekend before on the Peace: http://www.diver.net/bbs/posts002/79512.shtml

you will be able to find FishID cards out there at almost every dive shop, along with a Nudibranch ID card. Get both. :D

Can't wait to hear how you liked your trip! Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom