Diving the Keys In January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwlast

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Question.....or two.

Contemplating a dive trip to the Keys in mid-January. Never dove the Keys so I need some advice.....

- Any resorts or hotels offer good shore diving right off their beach?

- Looking to do a lot photography, recommendations of dive spots where the photo ops are the best....shore or boat it doesn't matter.

- Recommendations for charter operators. Like any place there are good and bad......

- Conditions in the Keys in January?

- Lastly, any dive freindly hotels (ie cater to divers)

Thanks

JT

jwlast:
Question.....or two.

Contemplating a dive trip to the Keys in mid-January. Never dove the Keys so I need some advice.....

- Any resorts or hotels offer good shore diving right off their beach?

- Looking to do a lot photography, recommendations of dive spots where the photo ops are the best....shore or boat it doesn't matter.

- Recommendations for charter operators. Like any place there are good and bad......

- Conditions in the Keys in January?

- Lastly, any dive freindly hotels (ie cater to divers)

Thanks

JT
Forget about shore diving in the Keys! There are very few natural beaches here, and no depth to speak of near shore. Key Largo is probably your best bet for underwater photography. Virtually all "good" diving is by boat, as the reef lies four to six miles offshore throughout the Keys.

January dive conditions are hit-or-miss, with good diving between the cold fronts, and rough seas as the fronts move through. Plan some flexible topside activities in case the diving gets blown-out. Everglades National Park is fabulous in the winter months... as is Key West (topside). Water temps will likely be in the low seventies.

Finally, virtually all accommodations in the Keys are dive-friendly. Enjoy!

Hey JT,

As mentioned there are no reefs close to shore that would be good for diving. There are dozens of reefs within 3 miles of shore starting in Key Largo MM 103 all the way down to Marathon MM 40. Of course there are also dozens of dive operators servicing these areas. Most of the dive operators have diver friendly hotels they work with which can save you a few dollars.

So you will have a lot of choices for locations and dive operators. In chosing a dive operator you might want to see what facalities they have at their shops for gear storage, as well as, on their boats for cameras. I'm sure you would want a large rinse bin for your camera when on the boat.

Last January we had some great conditions, but it can be hit and miss with NE storms coming in off the Atlantic. Don't fear thought cause as we say....If you don't like the weather in the Keys....Wait 5 mintues and it'll change.

All in all the Florida Keys has some great diving and I'm sure you'll be happy after diving some of our beautiful reefs and wrecks. If you have anymore questions please let us know.

Good Diving,
Capt Gary

Don't forget that there's some gorgeous reef diving down further in the keys as well!

<had to plug myself since the Key Largo ops piped up :wink: )

Rachel
Wreckreation Charters
Cudjoe Key, FL
(305) 515-2750

Have you researched diving in the Ft. Lauderdale area. So far, some of the shore dives in this area have been the most productive(as far as lobster, 5ft. nurse sharks, basketball sized inflated porcupine fish, tiger tail sea cucumbers...) for my newb azz. Not trying to take biz away from the Keys, but there are options. Oh, the hotel prices when everyone from the North comes down, skyrocket around January. If you golf, that's a plus because there are some great courses to play during non-dive times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom