Diving the Florida Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dean810:
Does your wife dive? One thing I found about the Keys, at least the northern part, is that there is not a whole lot for non-divers, boaters or fishers to do there. But there is great diving!

No. We'll also have my 16 yo daughter and her friend as well. I'm the only diver. All they really want is a nice place to stay with sun, beach and some swimming and possibly easy snorkeling. I don't really want to go to Key West. Not really my scene if you get my drift, especially with two teenage girls with us. Are there better options further south that don't have quite the same party atmosphere as Key West but yet have more to offer non-divers?

There are alot of very good dive ops and i will suggest a few, HMS Minnow in key largo who also runs pkgs out of holiday inn, in tavernier i would strongly suggest Conch republic divers and there are many accomodations they can arrange, I have never dove with blue water divers but i hear nothing but good things about them and Brent of blue water divers and Capt gary of conch republic divers are members of this board and always quick to answer a question or concern

Divin'Hoosier:
No. We'll also have my 16 yo daughter and her friend as well. I'm the only diver. All they really want is a nice place to stay with sun, beach and some swimming and possibly easy snorkeling. I don't really want to go to Key West. Not really my scene if you get my drift, especially with two teenage girls with us. Are there better options further south that don't have quite the same party atmosphere as Key West but yet have more to offer non-divers?

I hope some more local people will chime in here. Actually, there are other things to do there, depending on what you are looking for. I was surprised to find a privately run bird sanctuary not too much further south of Key Largo in Tavernier that was good for a visit. Believe it or not, I never actually went into Pennekamp itself. It might be a nice place to hang out in.

Neptunes Cove is no longer in operation. It was bought out for condos at the same time that Kellys and Hobos (which is relocating) was bought.

Silent World does offer some hotel/dive packages, but they do not have a resort with a dock on the premises

Upper Keys Beaches are far and few in between. I think Anne's Beach at mile marker 77 oceanside is the only natural beach this side of Marathon. The water there is quite shallow, but you can wade out, or float around with a mask and snorkel for a close-up view of the prop-scarred oceanfront grass flats. I find it interesting, but it's unlikely that your average 16 year old would be impressed.

Many resorts in the Upper and Middle Keys feature manmade beaches amongst their amenities, but they are, in my experience, little more than sand that has been trucked in and dumped along the waterfront where the mangroves once grew. Holiday Isle in Islamorada has a big manmade beach and swimming area, along with lots of aquatic activities to choose from, including sunbathing, diving, snorkeling, fishing, kiteboarding, parasailing, boat and PWC rentals, etc. There are several bars and restaurants onsite, and live music to boot.

We (BlueWater Divers) are located at Key Largo Resorts, which features three resort hotels, with several swimming pools, hot tubs, bars and restaurants, and water related activities, including sailing, snorkeling, diving, fishing, parasailing, boat rentals, and glass bottom boat tours, but alas, no beaches!

Topside activities are numerous. There's the previously mentioned Wild Bird Center, as well as the new History of Scuba Diving Museum. Shopping oportunities abound. There are also several human-dolphin interaction programs, and the nation's second oldest marine park, Theater of the Sea. The Turtle Hospital in Marathon is now open to the public. Everglades National Park, Biscayne National Park, Bill Baggs State Recreation Area (on Key Biscayne), John Pennekamp State Park, and Bahia Honda State Park are all within easy reach of the Upper Keys, and well worth the effort.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any additional (or more specific) information.

MsParamedic:
Neptunes Cove is no longer in operation. It was bought out for condos at the same time that Kellys and Hobos (which is relocating) was bought.

Silent World does offer some hotel/dive packages, but they do not have a resort with a dock on the premises

Oh NOOOO!!! CONDO'S!!!!:banghead: :bigun2: :cut: :dropmouth :splat:

I think many people who have never been to the Keys have a very skewed idea of what the Upper Keys are like. When I first drove into Key Largo years ago I was shocked as it was nothing like the Beach Boys "Kokomo" song made me picture. The Upper Keys are pretty rural and from US 1 look nothing like a tropical paradise. The water, however, is amazing, as are many of the people. That being said, there is really not much to do there besides dive, fish, kayak, eat, drink, and lay around in the sun- which is all I really want to do. Those not into a VERY laid back vacation full of diving and fishing and are seeking a beach for long walks, shopping, and a luxury/pampered kind of place will probably be happy elsewhere.

I teach high school, so can tell you your teenagers will probably be pretty bored.

Hey Hoosier - We can talk more aboutthis at the meet and greetthis fall, but I just got back from KeyLargo. We dove with Amy Slate's Amoray Resort. The diving, the DM's, The captian and the boat were all great. The rooms were rustic. We were in our room for a total 9 minutes that we weren't asleep.

We want to go back. Non diving family members want to go somewhere else.

I would recommend Rainbow Bend resort near Marathon MM58. Not a true dive location but there is diving near by with Abyss dive shop, or at Duck Key. They have free boat rental, and a nice beach. You can walk to several places to eat

http://rainbowbend.com/

beach.jpg

(no affliation)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom