Diving the Congamond Lakes in Southwick MA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Danny, thanks for the response.

Did you dive North Pond ? I'm curious how polluted that one is as Middle's got all the houses, and has been known to have issues.

But people are still swimming and skiing on the lakes. Not sure how healthy the fish are, do people still eat what they catch ?

I know there was a milifoil (?) issue on North pond a few years back and that gave major issue. And I'm sure with all the trees around that lake there are lots of decaying matter from the leaves as well.

Don't want to end up face deep in nasty mud and goodness knows what !

A quick note to all who responded to a new guy with these questions.

Its very valuable information, very cool to chat with folks from back home, and I'm especially thankful for your patience with my aspirations vs reality.

Just wanting to come back home.

Attachments

• North Pond.jpg
    North Pond.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 52
Mark,

Have dove throughout. Milifoil is a constant it has a bad and well deserved rep. Ppl do fish and eat stocked trout, my group doesn’t.

Just to put it into perspective...There was a long-standing dive shop in Southwick ( just recently closed) along with one in Westfield , still open, NONE of them bring their students to dive Congamond and instead bring their student to RI.

You want to dive Gloucester area or RI I’d drive you down or meet you. You want to dive Congamond 30 min away from me I’ll read your dive report lol.

Otis Reservoir though, I would dive that with you ...

Mark,

Have dove throughout. Milifoil is a constant it has a bad and well deserved rep. Ppl do fish and eat stocked trout, my group doesn’t.

Just to put it into perspective...There was a long-standing dive shop in Southwick ( just recently closed) along with one in Westfield , still open, NONE of them bring their students to dive Congamond and instead bring their student to RI.

You want to dive Gloucester area or RI I’d drive you down or meet you. You want to dive Congamond 30 min away from me I’ll read your dive report lol.

Otis Reservoir though, I would dive that with you ...

The more I research this, the more its NOT going to be a beginners dive by a long shot, so at the present time I'm biting off way more than I can chew.

A long way off to be safe at the very least.

But the spark of the adventure of it is still going to be there. The new info about the 60'
trench didn't help either ! <LOL>

That being said, I would enjoy meeting up with you when I come home next time. So much to learn and always good making new friends from home.

The flood of 1955 that washed out the lake

When North Pond broke, there was a lot of water that found its way out to the weakest link, the “Washout”

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom