'Diving' the Comal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yesterday was the first time diving the Comal. 74 degree water temp and easily 15 feet viz. We made three dives and in between took a break and rode down the shoot in flippers and masks. Pretty cool. Lots of fish. Some I identified were black bass, bluegill, buffalo, carp, a couple of fairly large turtles and a species of catfish I had never seen before. I believe it's called the armour plated catfish. It's black and appears to be covered in plates. I found a schol of them (6) close to the south bank under the floating vegetation. The average size was approximately 14 inches. I did some research and found out it is native to South America and sold here for aquariums (alge control).They've been introduced to our waterways by being dumped from aquariums. They thrive in clear moving water which remains at a steady temp year round (Comal). Even though it is a two hour drive for me, I'm going back as much as possible before the tubers invade.

Ok, so where are these stairs at? I always dive the Comal from the Surfenburg parking lot at Schlitterbahn, and just walk up past the dam at the bottom of the bit chute up there (more stuff to find). GPS coordinates? Map drawing?

Wow, the Comal is quite the hot spot isnt it. Glad yall are enjoying it. I will see if I cant get down there sometime soon.

Willie

Ok, so where are these stairs at? I always dive the Comal from the Surfenburg parking lot at Schlitterbahn, and just walk up past the dam at the bottom of the bit chute up there (more stuff to find). GPS coordinates? Map drawing?

It has been awhile since I was there, but this should be pretty close. Others can correct me if necessary.

And attached is a crop with notes.

Willie

Attachments

• HinmanIslandDr.jpg
    HinmanIslandDr.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 61
My schedule is open on Wednesday. I tend to like to arrive early at sites to dive so that I miss traffic when going home.

Early sounds good to me. I know what you mean about missing all the traffic, I live in S. Austin and would rather miss all the traffic if possible. I would love to join you Wednsday. How many tanks do you plan on diving?

Ross

Early sounds good to me. I know what you mean about missing all the traffic, I live in S. Austin and would rather miss all the traffic if possible. I would love to join you Wednsday. How many tanks do you plan on diving?

Ross

I'll have one full tank and one tank with 2000 psi. The times that I have dived there, I have only used one tank however.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom