Diving that time of month

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tend to agree with the theory that human blood is not as attractive as well. I've been diving in the presence of large numbers of hammerheads whilst having a pretty good nosebleed, and they showed no interest. Granted this was in an area where they don't tend to be as aggressive anyway, for whatever reason.

Thank you all sorry it has taken me so long to get back on. My trip is next week and spoke with the owner of my local dive shop and she told me that since it is "old blood" I will be fine kinda of like a repellant. My husband and I are planning a couple wreck dives and was afraid of sharks that were known to be there.
Thank You all for your feed back

from a physiology perspective
You may be at an increased risk of getting bent due to the blood loss and what not.

LOL. That would be a massive period.

The only suggestion I can say, don't use rental gear. While it's not much blood, or in some cases nothing comes out, there is still the possibility and someone else will wear that wetsuit at some point.

Just curious but how is blood that exits the body in any part of the body diffrent then from blood that exits a diffrent part of the body?

Dont me to ask a dumb question but it seems to me the blood would be the exact same blood as when you cut your hand or toe or any part of the body?

The 'blood' discharged is not actually blood. It is the build up of uterine tissue in the women's body in anticipation of fertilization with an embryo. More simply, it's the female's adaptations to become pregnant. When fertilization does not occur then the body loses the lining in a process we call menstruation.

As to the OP's question, there is no medical reason why you can't dive during your period. The women divers have already chimed in on how best to deal with it. BTW, the pill is not recommended to prevent the period, as you will need to be on the cycles for 1-2 months before you guarantee a change in the timing of the cycle. A depot provera shot by a OBGYN can supress a period for 3 months but needs to be given a few weeks before the trip.

Hmm--My wife has recently anounced she has found the solution to the whole monthly cycle thing--well at least for the next 9 months.

+1 on what seaducer posted. Humans are not on the shark menu. They typically do not react to human blood. Mythbusters did this great experiment where they put a drop human blood in a tank with a shark. Didn't even notice. Then they put single drop fish blood, and the shark just went crazy.

Shark attacks on humans are almost always cases of mistaken identity. You somehow looked like a seal or a turtle.

The 'blood' in a period is not true blood. See my previous post. It is actually uterine lining called endometrium.

Hmm--My wife has recently anounced she has found the solution to the whole monthly cycle thing--well at least for the next 9 months.

My goodness kazbanz, how many kids does that give you? I have three and think that's a lot!

Congratulations. Kids are the greatest.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. I'll get back to posting about the sharks.

My goodness kazbanz, how many kids does that give you? I have three and think that's a lot!

Congratulations. Kids are the greatest.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. I'll get back to posting about the sharks.
Yep well we are the Brady bunch pretty much so this is actually the first we have had together. Now when ya think about it the lil blighter is already doing scuba :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom