Diving that time of month

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's fine, just use a tampon. If you want to skip having your period, various types of birth control can help with that. I use the mini pill and barely ever get my period and if I do it's like 1-2 days. But YMMV, everyone is different.

As has already been stated, the loss of blood is minimal. Also, your body replaces the fluids lost. Sharks are not interested in the type of blood discharged during menstruation.

Birth control and other drugs can be used to alter the timing of your cycle. If you want to pursue these methods, it's best to discuss it with your doctor to determine the best method for you to use. However, most women don't find it to be a problem to dive during their periods.

Using an internal cup (either re-useable, like the "Diva Cup", or disposable, like "Instead" - and there are other brands as well) is something many women divers prefer for long diving days and boat trips or times when a bathroom is not readily accessible immediately after the dive. However, tampons will work, too.

The main thing to consider is how you are feeling. If you feel well enough that day to handle the physical activity involved, then go diving. If headaches, body aches, or other symptoms make you feel too ill to be physically active, then skip it, and dive another time.

there's a zillion old threads on the subject. It's just not an issue.
Yes, but the reason there's a zillion old threads is that it's a reasonable question to ask, and there's some value in having the conversation now, rather than just rereading old conversations.

As has already been stated, the loss of blood is minimal. Also, your body replaces the fluids lost. Sharks are not interested in the type of blood discharged during menstruation.

Just curious but how is blood that exits the body in any part of the body diffrent then from blood that exits a diffrent part of the body?

Dont me to ask a dumb question but it seems to me the blood would be the exact same blood as when you cut your hand or toe or any part of the body?

Just curious but how is blood that exits the body in any part of the body diffrent then from blood that exits a diffrent part of the body?

Dont me to ask a dumb question but it seems to me the blood would be the exact same blood as when you cut your hand or toe or any part of the body?

It's got uterine lining in the blood as well. It's not just blood that comes out.

from a physiology perspective
You may be at an increased risk of getting bent due to the blood loss and what not.
I'd be careful pushing NDL's and make sure you do a full precautionary stop before hand. Best thing would be for you to go talk to a diving physician though. Even calling DAN I'm sure would get you a better answer. My dive buddy dives through it and hasn't had a problem but she's in a drysuit so it's a little different

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this "blood loss" blood that's not in use by the circulatory system, but rather blood that has been "stored in place" for a potential young zygote days (or maybe a week) before "aunt flows" vist?
So if this is the case shouldn't the gals also be worried about getting bent a few weeks before their "aunty" comes for a visit? :wink: :dork2:

It's got uterine lining in the blood as well. It's not just blood that comes out.

Cool so in response to the previous post it the uterine lining something that sharks are not interested in?

Again being a guy I obviously am not as in tune with this stuff as a woman would be and just am interested in learning about why sharks are not interested in that type of blood.

Cool so in response to the previous post it the uterine lining something that sharks are not interested in?

Again being a guy I obviously am not as in tune with this stuff as a woman would be and just am interested in learning about why sharks are not interested in that type of blood.

Haha I have no idea if sharks are interested or not and whether if they are not it is because of the uterine lining actually. I am think if they are attracted to human blood (not sure they are) they would still be attracted to blood even with other stuff in it?

Back
Top Bottom