Diving Tables???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pablovi:
A computer must be programmed with a set of tables, anyone know which tables they use to programm it?
While it may seem like a subtle difference, the real situation is that there is a decompression model, and both the computer and the tables comply with the model.

Computers can run the complete decompression model and very accurately reflect your dive in both time, depth, and the decompression model calculations.

Tables, because of various limitations do a much cruder version of the model. For example, rather than tracking all compartments of different halftimes (Buhlmann, DSAT, USN, or other neo-Haldanian model), the repetitive groups aka pressure groups are based upon just one compartment. This is why the NDL or no-decompression limit for a deep dive leaves you in a pressure group or repetitive group other than the highest one ----- a fast compartment has hit the limit, while the slower compartment (60 minute for PADI, 120 minute for most other tables) is still a long ways from the limit.

The other very significant difference between tables and computers is that most tables calculate the dive as if all of your bottom time is at the deepest depth. If you spend a lot of time shallow after going deep, your tables and your computers will differ greatly.

Charlie Allen

Lewt's see here...someone left a PADI Wheel on my boat when I did charters, so I learned it. It was pretty awesome. Then someone left an Orca Edge - that big clunk dive computer, and I really loved that.
I could never remember how to work the PADI Wheel if I didn't use it for more than a week. I had to give the Edge back too.
I had a whole bunch of the NAUI wheels - they were ok and much easier to use than any tables.
I've always been able to do tables - NAUI, PADI, NASDS, whatever, but the newish NAUI RGBM tables are unbelievably easy to use. I never found much difference between any one set of tables, but that PADI Wheel sure got you back in the water fast.
I just use a computer though, but in the back of my mind, I'm always bouncing the tables off the settings. For deco stuff, I run tables and just memorize them. So I guess if I get narced, I'm going to really mess myself up. Except I only get narced between 163' and 167', so I avoid those particular depths like the plague.
Different comuters have different degrees of conservatism built into the programmed algorithms. My ancient OMS EANx is much more conservative than my wife's Oceanic hockey puck. I have to do a lot more hang time than her, but I really do not mind.
Good luck with whatever tables you use.

"NAUI has some knock-out tables called RGBM's which are simple to use and "safe". The Canadian DCIEM tables are pretty darn good and tested on a good number of folks.. But, for the ultimate in entertainment and confusion my money is on the "wheel" or "Dial-A-Bends". "

Nice Mr X, The wheel is NICE but the better is the dive table calculator. Put inside a zip lock and use it underwater!

m3830431:
Dive tables are good to have when your computer breaks. :D

How about "Dive computers are nice-to-have when you dive as planned with dive tables/wheel." :wink:

markfm:
Gotta love the wheel -- required item for PADI DM course, never seen anyone use one.

If you ever did the PADI Multi-Diver before dive computers you would have...still have mine...:D

Can't resist it -- Ka-Ching! :)
Still have it? As in virtually new, never used since?
(I actually do carry my normal table, and a Nitrox conversion table, with my log and C cards. It's up in the air as to whether I'll toss the wheel in there, part of standard stuff to take diving.)

webediving:
"NAUI has some knock-out tables called RGBM's which are simple to use and "safe". The Canadian DCIEM tables are pretty darn good and tested on a good number of folks.. But, for the ultimate in entertainment and confusion my money is on the "wheel" or "Dial-A-Bends". "

Nice Mr X, The wheel is NICE but the better is the dive table calculator. Put inside a zip lock and use it underwater!

Cheers mate. I use a couple of those whenever I teach recreational diving. Quick and easy + doesn't require magnifying glasses and interpreting piercing of slopes etc. NAUI calculator is certainly easier to use than "Dial a Bends", but doesn't allow for multi-level diving. I do have to say the RGBM's are very, very easy.

Now Ziploc's...that's another story. I like Velcro. :)

Most agencies use versions of the US Navy Tables - usually with backed off NDLs. PADI's RDP is a totally different table (although it uses the same format). A "D Group" on the Navy Table is not a "D Group" on the PADI RDP. While no table is more conservative in every situation, in general, the PADI RDP is much more liberal in all situations, especially repetitive diving than all backed off versions of the Navy Tables. Only for single dives are they more conservative than the regular Navy Tables. Of the backed off Navy tables, the YMCA tables are, over all, the most conservative. The DCIEM tables are, over all, the most conservative tables I've seen published. DCIEM and BSAC tables use different formats, but they are easy to learn.

markfm:
Gotta love the wheel -- required item for PADI DM course, never seen anyone use one.

I know, I know. I had to buy one. Stupid little device I will use once and sell on ebay.
At least they lowered the price some it only rips you off $35 now.

As far as Tables. As already said. Dive the most conservative.
I like the Y tables because they are what I was trained on and they are very conservative compared to the PADI tables.

Back
Top Bottom