Diving Sodwana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mordred:
I've just read it - excellent and informative review, thanks a lot :)

I have also been to Sodwanna, we dove with Coral Divers. We had an excellent time. The viz isn't all that great, maybe 35ft. to 50 at the most. Plenty of things to see, pelagics as well as tropicals. Most people do the 2 mile reef, the outer ones are much less visited. The reefs are allot flater in profile compare to the Caribbean. We saw one shark that my wife and I felt the it could swallow us whole, it was big, maybe in the 14 ft. range. The experience of using a farm tractor and getting through the big surf to get out to the reefs was unique to any place we've ever been. The topography looks much like the west Michigan coast line with dunes dropping down into the water. Africa has allot to offer in the way of wildlife.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

It looks like we will get the opportunity to dive in northern Mozambique before Sodwana, but I will definitely visit Sodwana as soon as I can.

My only worry is getting seasick, but I hear there are some patches and pills you can use.

We use Valoid - one table about an hour before the dive - works for us.
I have also heard ginger works well - haven't tried it yet.

We normally take dive packages at Sodwana through Sodwana Bay Lodge. It includes dives, accomodation and meals.

You will love northern Moz!!!

SA-Diver:
We use Valoid - one table about an hour before the dive - works for us.
I have also heard ginger works well - haven't tried it yet.

We normally take dive packages at Sodwana through Sodwana Bay Lodge. It includes dives, accomodation and meals.

You will love northern Moz!!!

I've also heard ginger works well - I'll keep the Valiod in mind, thanks.

Also wanted to mention the sea sickness. I got horribly sick on the first day. Large swells and surge. I actually got sick 18m under water! DM just said "I've read about it, but it's the first time I've actually seen somebody being sick through a reg!" I would have sold my kit cheaply that day!
Learned a good trick though: Seasick medication take a bit of time to work. Take your first pill (Avomine in my case) the evening before, then one the morning 4/5 hours before the first dive. Never had any problems after that.
And try this stuff out before you go and if you have to, speak to your doctor.

Back
Top Bottom