Diving Shears sheath material?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flatliner:
I am a nurse and have worked a fairly good amount of ER. I like the cheap old EMT shears but if you use them keep in mind that they don't hold an edge worth a darn. If you use them while diving more than once or twice replace them. They can be had for 2-5 dollars at most medical uniform stores or websites.

Robert
For those in The Netherlands, Praxis has some very nice own brand stainless steel shears for only 3 euros. I'm sure most DIY shops must have something similar. I got the Praxis version and made my own sheath from some webbing. 60 euros from OMS or 3 euros from the DIY shop - you choose :wink:

I found a smallpouch at Lowes made to carry a utility knive and a couple pencils.
It is made of material that feels and looks like good BC material.
The cheap vinyl SMB goes in the full pocket, Shears go in the half width pockets.
The pencil holders contain Zip ties and one zip tie with spare O rings zipped on.
Total Size is 3" wide, 5/8 in deep, 6 in long.
Velcro covers all exposed ends.
It cost $10, and it has been abused for the last 50 dives or so.

OK, you're gonna LOVE this one. . . .

So, I am looking for the SAME EXACT THINGY to put my transformed steak knife in. Im walking thru LOWES (or the local Home Depot in your area), and look at the teeny Mag Light that comes with a nylon belt chingadera.

Here is the bang-zoom! you pay $9.95 for for the nylon "go on your two inch harness" thingy, and you get a free light. . . .aaand free batteries to go with the light!

Beat that one,

T

I use an offcut length of garden water hose. No stiching and ready in an instant, works equally well for scissors and knives.

Condider the $4 stainless kitchen shears from Wal-Mart. These appear to have more leverage than the EMT shears, are a bit larger, and seem more robust. I have found them fairly rust-resistant.

Archangel:
OK, you're gonna LOVE this one. . . .
So, I am looking for the SAME EXACT THINGY to put my transformed steak knife in. Im walking thru LOWES (or the local Home Depot in your area), and look at the teeny Mag Light that comes with a nylon belt chingadera.
T

I did the same thing with the Mag lite holster I have, but I added a gromet to the front part of the loop and now a bolt clip through the gromet and big finger hole of the shears holds my shears nice and secure.

Not easy one-hand removal, but I manage.

These are the perfect dive shears - carabiner incorporated! Unlike the routine trauma shears, they are not prone to dull either thanks to the titaneum alloy the blades are made with.

Trauma Shears

Looks nice except for the 'biner thing. Just shears with built in suicide clip. Good luck cutting yourself free if it's the shears that are tangled because of that non locking clip.

Looks nice except for the 'biner thing. Just shears with built in suicide clip. Good luck cutting yourself free if it's the shears that are tangled because of that non locking clip.

Yet another example of how God is fueled by irony.

As an aside, for the hose sheaths, a good trick i've found is to cut 2 slits on one end of the hose and run some double sided Velcro through to wrap through one handle of the shears, that way they stay put even if they get jiggled out of the tubing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom