Diving Shears sheath material?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mikey0929

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I hope I'm posting this in the right forum...

I have recently bought a couple of pairs of stainless shears but I can't seem to find a sheath for them without spending $30 around my area. I am thinking about making a the sheaths on my own and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for the best type of material to use for it. I will likely put a snap on it as well to hold the shears in rather than velcro... any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Just normal black nylon webbing is what mine is made of. You could really make it out of anything you like.

I buy ballistic nylon from these guys - Seattle Fabrics (http://www.seattlefabrics.com/). I'm sure you can find something locally to match. They have a great selection of webbing and rugged outdoor fabrics. I've used their stuff to sew pockets for my drysuit and wetsuits, construct a drysuit bag, and to build a set of mounting straps for my argon bottles. I also used some webbing to make up a nice jon line, too.

The ballistic nylon, in a heavy weight, is very rugged, holds up well, and sews pretty good on a strong sewing machine with either a denim or leather needle and some upholstery thread.

If you go with Seattle Fabrics - and they're great for small quantities - beware that none of their hardware is stainless, so you'll have to hit up a dive shop - or a boat shop (West Marine happens to be down the street from me...) - to get SS stuff that resists the salt water.

Leisure pro has the snips and holder (cordura holster with d ring) on sale right now for 6 bucks. Why make it i ordered two sets for me and my wife for 17 dollars with shipping.

Except for me to order from Leisurepro in Canada costs me $32.50 in S&H for that item... (or for any item) MINIMUM.

scubaaaronh:
Leisure pro has the snips and holder (cordura holster with d ring) on sale right now for 6 bucks. Why make it i ordered two sets for me and my wife for 17 dollars with shipping.
you mean this one?

I bought that set once, junk as is IMO - the holder doesn't hold the shears very well, lost the shears on one of it's first few dives. You might want to try and add something to it so it actually holder the shears in.

Damselfish:
you mean this one?

I bought that set once, junk as is IMO - the holder doesn't hold the shears very well, lost the shears on one of it's first few dives. You might want to try and add something to it so it actually holder the shears in.

Oh ok i thought the holder looked like the sea snips brand when comparing pics. Maybe i can cancell my order. As far as shears they look like standard emt shears not the heavy duty ones. I was going to order more for the sheath for my good heavy duty shears. looks like the same sheath as the ones scubatoys is selling http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=KN25

I am a nurse and have worked a fairly good amount of ER. I like the cheap old EMT shears but if you use them keep in mind that they don't hold an edge worth a darn. If you use them while diving more than once or twice replace them. They can be had for 2-5 dollars at most medical uniform stores or websites.

Robert

Though you can make ones out of old webbing. You could make one out of an off-cut of suitable dia hose. You could probably shape one in 5 min and it doesn't need any sewing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom