Diving Seattle Waterfront

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

overandunderwater

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Driving on the viaduct yesterday I couldn't help but wonder if anyone has tried diving all the 100 year old pilings along the waterfront? I'm sure Coleman Dock is restricted but is all of it? Access I bet could be found if I tried hard enough. Anyone ever done this?

The Aquarium staff dives under there quite often to collect critters. They dive in complete environment suits; ie drygloves and hood.

I don't know here you'd access it and I would think that diving under the docks is restricted.

Jack

In January/February of this year, there was a "ribbon-cutting" ceremony for a new dive site, directly north of Pier 70 in the park. The day was stormy, so the ceremony was moved into the art museum...but, I walked down to the site...basically haul your gear down the sidewalk and it's the first beachhead. Easy entry...but don't know of anyone who has dove it yet.

Theoretically...should be good for six-gills, with their feeding station right down the way.

It's on my list...but haven't done it yet.

that's great! I could walk there from work although would get a few stares in the elevator--thank you.

Randy

I dove near Pier 69 one time some years ago. There was a lot of construction junk near and under the pier and lots of mud away from it.

I didn't see any two-headed fish, but I felt like I should have. I wouldn't do it again -- I'm not that fond of urban diving, particularly that close to the mouth of the Duwamish and in a bay that's seen 100 years of post-industrial waste.

p.s. I was at the new Myrtle Edwards beach last December for a press conference with the governor. We aborted our dive plans because the wind was howling, the waves were big, and the debris being tossed in the surf was huge and dangerous -- so we went to the art museum. But in a moment of unexplainable insanity I waded into the water briefly to stick my camera in it to see if I could film anything interesting. Mike Racine was watching my back because of the debris. When I pulled my head out of the water, Mike yelled at me to get out, and I did. He pointed to a whitish object near where I had been. "Know what that is?" he asked.

"A dead cat."

FYI, there was a huge amount of large wood in the water that day, but just a small percentage of it was logs. Most of it was dimensional lumber -- some pressure treated with god knows what.

Fluffy!
I was going to make a joke about catfish but thought it too easy. I'll try it just to say I did and it's something new. Who knows what dead animal I'll see.

Nothing unusual ... I found a dead cat on my safety stop one time on a dive at Three Tree ... it took me a while to figure out what it was because it was covered with crabs and starfish ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom